New Mexico "Militia" Detaining Illegals On The Border

But… there IS real border security there now. I mean, they’re detaining criminals illegally crossing our border, right? :wink:

2 Likes

I’m sure they’ll be getting compared to Charles Bronson at some point later on this coming week.

Nicely stated, too.

Who couldn’t be impressed by a 69 year old “entertainer” as leader of this merry band…

Sure hope Larry is carrying down there…

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5736155-Larry-Hopkins-2006-Arrest-Report.html

Eh, let them have fun. Since they’re not law enforcement, they don’t have infinite legal resources to deal with the civil or criminal liabilities of enforcing the law. This is probably going to be a self-correcting issue.

I have another thought; posse comitatus and even militias can, I believe, be viewed as an admission by the government that it is incapable of handling certain situations without the assistance of citizens.

Has the government called on militias to assist on the border?

I don’t know, hence my comments about the sheriffs. “Government” is a huge entity.

Of course I was speaking more generally in the post you quoted.

Who has the authority to call on the militias?

Really good question. Why do you think there needs to be an authority or a call?

What a bunch of try hard bootlickers. LARPers.

Thanks for stopping by.

No problem.

I don’t know, maybe article I of the constitution…

Is that what this group is doing and is it exclusive? No.

Yeah, I don’t think the Constitution says anything about cosplay.

2 Likes

Then tell us, under what legal authority are they operating?

Again, thanks for stopping by.

No, thank you.

Common law.

Does article 1 clauses 15 and 16 presume the existence of “militias”? Does it state that “only Congress…”? Do they give specific instances?

Fundamental - if it is not expressly illegal it is legal. Not the other way around.

The interesting thing about it is how it ties in to the debates and the 2nd Amendment, which of course came later. The mentioning of the militia in it specifically. It goes back to issues in 17th century England.

You are on to something important here.

Is there any prohibition on the number of militias? What are your thoughts on select versus general militias and the history of both?