New Forum - I'm Officially A Fan

No sigs…no decent smilies…BLAH !

Is there a thread for ‘not a fan’? I’ve tried to get used to it, but I just can’t. Don’t know why Hannity had to change, but whatever. We shouldn’t have to work this hard.

1 Like

Hey man, y’all need to turn that edit button back on.

The best I can do is request your patience.

I am with you…

Still not sure why so many unhappy campers.

Outside of the missing edit button, this places is the cats meow comparatively.

2 Likes

Change is not a bad thing.

Change when nothing is really broken is though. Just because the old Forum had a few dings and scratches, was no reason to trade it in on a new model that doesn’t have all the functions and niceties of the old one.

Just for instance, try finding a specific post in an old thread that you can’t remember the name of. And if you have trouble doing that now, just try it in a year or more.

Why would you need to do that

You may just have to get in the habit of bookmarking posts that you think may come up later. Once you do that, they are easily accessible in your menu upper left.

In my defense, I made this thread before The Tragedy.

1 Like

Job would have given up by now.

Why not? For instance, just before the old Forum was closed (and with the promise of a read only period) I went back and bumped several favorite old threads so they would be available for viewing. It was easy to sort on number of posts for most of those without having to know the exact thread title for a search.

Another thing missing here is the member name and date off the OP of a new thread or the ability to get a short preview of the OP by hovering the cursor over the thread name in the menu. I now end up skipping over most threads that have obscure titles because I don’t want to waste time opening a thread that doesn’t look interesting. The “hover preview” and often the name of the originator, were instrumental in getting more people to join in a discussion. Just look at number of threads active each day here compared to the old thread … there is very little participation outside of a small handful of threads each day.

Bookmarks are only good if you know that you may want to return to a thread some months down the road. Besides, managing bookmarks is a chore in itself, particularly if you do it a lot.

The old one was outdated. The new one works much better and I would think the software can be updated much more easily than the old one.

Search function works very well, I think. If I have a gripe, though, it’s that you can’t always tell which reply is to what post since the writer’s icon isn’t always there and it doesn’t automatically go there if you click on something. I might be wrong about that, but if not, that would be nice.

In addition to not having many of the convenient features and niceties of the old Forum, this new one has some of the same intermittent problems plus some new ones (like the inability to edit)

It’s hard to even tell which post number you are viewing and you cannot link directly to a post as easily as we could before.

Some of the grips I have may have work arounds, but the site is not intuitive so nothing is apparent. And I have already been made gunshy to try things just to see what they do because it sometimes isn’t clear what happened when I clicked on a function and then I don’t know how to undo what I did. The bottom line is, the old Forum may have had some problems, but It was like an old car with familiar quirks. And I thnk that the lessened participation here bears me out.

Not sure what you mean on that…the post number is directly to the left of the space in which you read the post. As for linking to the post…when you hit reply, it links to it automatically. If you want the text to show up in the post you are typing, all you have to do is highlight it, right click and hit quote. I personally find that to be much simpler than having to go in and add the quote command at all sorts of weird spots in order to answer points one at a time, but that could just be me.

Again, I am not sure what you are looking for that isn’t readily available.

I’m not sure what you mean there either…almost every button I’ve pressed on this site does the same thing it did on the other version. I ask in earnest…whats not here that you are looking for?

On that we disagree…the old forum had MAJOR problems. It needed to be revamped, and unfortunately, the people who made the software decided that they were no longer gonna provide support for it. That means it was NEVER going to get any better than it was. Its like trying to find parts for a vehicle made in the 30’s…unless you are willing to fabricate the parts yourself, its gonna be virtually impossible to fix anything major.

As for he lessened participation…I would venture that some of those same people are probably still pissed that Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 3.1…:wink: