New Estimates Show more than 4000 Died in Hurricane Maria

At least 4,645 people died as a result of Hurricane Maria and its devastation across Puerto Rico last year, according to a new Harvard study released Tuesday, an estimate that far exceeds the official government death toll, which stands at 64.

That’s more people than died in 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina combined.

But it’s ok, Trump tossed some towels at them. Besides, they were in debt anyway. :neutral_face:

Argh fake news, my math is off. It is not more people than 9/11 and Katrina combined.

It’s about 200 fewer. Which doesn’t make me feel better about it.

Boy I wish I knew how to edit.

Hey, let’s hear it for blaming nature on Presidents.

So, was it really the Bush’s Fault that they discovered in Haiti of what?

But, you know, when it comes to the response I’m sure we’ll learn how Trump got a valuable mining concession for a friend aaaaany day now.

Typos happen. There’s no edit feature. No big.

This shoild not be ignored.

Puerto Rico had a hurricane? Weird.

Trump did it.

Presidents aren’t responsible for nature. They are indeed responsible for how they respond to nature’s wrath and the level of concern they demonstrate for those they are supposed to aid in their time of need.

Bingo. Remember, Trumps first response to the hurricane was to blame Puerto Rick for being in debt.

1 Like

He did?

methed%20up

Trump didn’t put the Clintons in charge of anything so he’s doing much better there.

What does the Clinton response to an international disaster a generation ago have to do with the dismissive, disrespectful way Trump treated the American citizens of Puerto Rico?

“Puerto Rico has the population of Connecticut and an economy smaller than Nebraska’s. It also has more debt — $74 billion — than any U.S. state government except California, New York and Massachusetts. The debt, a result of financial mismanagement, Wall Street complicity and good intentions gone awry, will limit the territory’s ability to rebuild after being destroyed by a hurricane. New questions as to whether the hobbled island will be able to repay weigh on investors far beyond the Caribbean island.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/quicktake/puerto-ricos-slide

Don’t have the means to deal with your own problems? Borrow money … how progressive.

Yeah, blah blah bla Wallstreet … but no one held a gun to their heads to issue those bonds and, all too typically, the whole thing was built on the folly of believing things won’t go south (or if they do someone else will pick up the tab). That worked for certain States and their pension funds, didn’t it?

Oh that’s just a peachy thing to bring up days after the island was practically leveled by a storm. A real lot of heart you people have there.

People’s choices have consequences. Poop happens. That’s the way of the world. Admitting the nature of things isn’t having less heart.

It’s just having common sense.

Sounds like they are blaming deaths not caused by the hurricane on the hurricane. Hard to figure out how they get there. My guess is the left who ran the island for decades into the ground now have an excuse they want to push, and to blame Trump to boot.

1 Like

Attacking the fiscal state of the island as people were dying and in desperate need of help is pretty much the definition of heartless.

“Estimate”.

What precisely is it you think Trump could have done to prevent them from dying. Be specific.

Pointing out excessive debt is “attacking” the fiscal state.

I find that accumulating disproportionate debt is more of an egregious attack on the people of PR.

The main reason people were dying in such numbers was the decades of neglect of their own infrastructure and lack of preparation.

Nothing Trump did or said could change those facts.

The Administration immediately mobilized every resource available to bring aid to the Island as soon as it was safe to do so.

Providing relief to a large Island hundreds of miles off the US coast is a logistical nightmare in comparison to providing relief following such a disaster in the continental US.

Blame Trump for the failures Of PR’s own leaders though if it makes you feel better.