New data show how much legal opioid have flooded America communities

I mean everything I say.

nope.

Is that the family that Stephen Colbert did an expose on in 2018?

I believe the Obama admin in the later years started taking stronger steps to address it.

But fentanyl was a forest fire, it drastically increased the speed and scale of the problem.

I don’t see the problem really being properly resolved without reform at the FDA, which isn’t currently happening. Contrary to the belief that these regulatory agencies are stifling the industries they oversee, when it comes to the FDA they’re often shockingly lax, imo.

Legalise, regulate and tax it.

Fentanyl was being handed out like candy. Not much regulation was going on.

Perhaps Govt regulators shouldn’t be taking funds from the industries they’re supposed to be regulating…

“Brown blamed the problem in part on “cozy, cozy relationships between the pharmaceutical industry and various parts of the FDA”. Since a change to the FDA’s funding in the 1990s, the agency division responsible for opioid approvals relies on the drug industry for 75% of its budget. The agency denies the money buys influence.”

Build the wall.

Contradictory. If we’re taxing it, we don’t want to reduce consumption.

Well done! One of the indicators of a drift into failure. Boeing 737 issue.

Government is not a solution.

Ok. But legalize it and tax it.

That sounds more like a John Oliver thing.

They are the owners of Purdue Pharma, the makers of OxyContin and now oddly enough a drug that curbs the symptoms of Opiate addiction.

That, my friend, is the free market at work.

I personally knew three people that have died because of the opioids. All under 40.

I’m sorry for your loss.

People have a right to kill themselves.

Right after they outlaw Kratom. Which I have heard good things about with opioid rehabilitation.

Yeah, it’s shocking when people are standing upright one day and gone the next.

Indeed it is. And the younger the more tragic in my book. No parent should ever have to bury a child.

But people have a right…

Found the link I was referring to (see below). Be warned there may be some language that some might find upset their sensibilities.

The one below is from John Oliver. My comment about possibly upsetting someone’s sensibility applies to this one as well.

In that case you’re the only person in America who is never sarcastic.

1 Like

I stand corrected.

I rarely watch Colbert. My buddy has worked on his show since the beginning of Colbert Report, so I have seen it live a few times.

But honestly… I hardly watch live TV anymore.

There is an additional element here. Choosing to use drugs recreationally is a choice. But having a doctor over prescribe based on fraudulent medical guidelines (The FDA labeling change permitting long term OxyContin use) shifts some of the responsibility.

I do think many of the patients went to the doctor with the intent to misuse the drug, but there are also patients who followed a prescription in good faith and ended up with an addiction.

Professional groups do not have a right of malpractice.

1 Like