New Colorado law will give state's electoral college votes to national popular

Exactly correct. States determine how electors get elected.

not the feds.

to change it so the federal govt chooses the electors would take a constitutional amendment.

Allan

The people of those states voted for members of their state government who in turn come up with this legislation, so obviously the people in those states have no problem with it. It’s their state they can do whatever they want.

2 Likes

From the United states constitution:

“Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.”

True.

By and large it’s Blue states signing on to this compact. If the majority of participating states are from the same political bent, they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. In the event that the electoral college differs from the popular vote, if the popular vote winner is the blue candidate, their EVs are already in that candidate’s column. But if the popular vote winner is the red candidate, they’re going to have to give their EVs to the red candidate.

In the event that 270 EVs sign onto the compact, you can be sure it will be challenged all the way to SCOTUS that this violates Article 1, Section 10 of the Constitution.

Actual implementation of this concept is going to take a long and arduous journey before it can ever be implemented.

True, but I still think it is wrong no matter the color of the state. Lets say a bunch of states do it also, how will they know if 270 is reached if these states hold back their votes.

Oh, it’s definitely wrong. No matter the color of the state.

Right now the movement is a TDS knee-jerk reaction that can only result in self-harm to those states that hop on the TDS train. Government by knee-jerk reaction is not going to end well – for anyone.

1 Like

It in no way violates Article 1, Section 10.

Not even close to being true. The electoral vote winner will always be the popular vote winner.

The NPVIC when implemented will throw is 270 plus electoral votes to the popular vote winner.

Right now NPVIC is at 181. Needs a few more states to sign on. and then on election night only have to worry about the final tally of popular votes. :slight_smile:

Allan

A complaint has been of those 6 million votes a significant number were cast in swing states and those are what caused Clinton to lose the election:

PhillyGuy

Even Colorado’s republican party says they’re in trouble here. I saw a quote from someone - can’t remember who - that says they mistakingly think Colorado is still light blue.

Ross Perot got close to 20 million votes:

PhillyGuy

Another possibility is they haven’t considered all the ramifications, of for example, a Trump-like candidate winning the popular vote and New Jersey or other blue-state having all their electoral votes accorded to him when they voted overwhelmingly against him.

PhillyGuy

If the guy or Gal wins the popular vote, I have no problem for my states electors to vote for them.

Allan

You have your opinion. Others have theirs.

You should count on that challenge being filed, and you can count on the case going all the way to SCOTUS.

One’s individual opinion is nothing more than one man’s opinion, and worth all that one man’s opinion can be worth. All that will matter is what SCOTUS rules on it.

And so I’ll repeat: Actual implementation of this concept is going to take a long and arduous journey before it can ever be implemented.

And … ???

I didn’t say anything that contradicts that.

If states from just one political party are the signers of this compact (which is what has happened so far!), they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. If their candidate wins the popular vote but loses the EV, their EVs have already been tallied in their candidate’s column under the old EV method. The compact doesn’t serve any purpose. They gain nothing. But if the opposition candidate wins the popular vote and loses the EV, their compact flips their EVs to the opposition candidate. They lose everything.

Uhhh huh. And what precisely are they going to argue to the court?

Well as of today no Trump-like candidate has won the popular vote not even Trump himself, so I don’t see it being a problem.

1 Like

Damned straight Colorado GOP is in trouble. Governor, State Legislature and State Senate are all Dem. Internally the state GOP is fighting its own internal battles (between Establishment GOP and grassroots conservatives) such that the party can’t even get out of its own way, much less run a decent campaign (as demonstrated by the Dem tsunami that happened in 2018.) And CO is one of the top destination states for people fleeing Calif, bringing a more liberal voting population (even among arrivals who say they are Repubs).

Colorado may not be as Blue as Calif or NY, but it’s a generally safe blue for election cycles to come.

:roll_eyes: