Never-Trump Would’ve Handed Democrats 6-3 Supreme Court Majority

Energized by the use of the children separations, Democrats are increasingly bringing illegal immigration to the front of the upcoming election. Because they feel strongly about this issue, I suppose they believe that will be a winner for them in the general. It merely emphasizes their support of all illegals and sanctuary cities/states.
Kennedy is bringing the appointment of Judges to the front of the scene just before the election.

I just don’t think there is going to be any “blue wave” based on those as the two main issues. And in the mean time, the failure and bogus nature of the campaign/Russia collusion is becoming more obvious.

I don’t think a blue wave is very likely either. The D party is going further and further out of the mainstream not only on immigration but a lot of other issues.

Now we have sitting Senators calling for ICE to be abolished. It’s a race to see who can pander the most to the far left. I predict government run health care, “free” college and of course no ICE will be in the D platform in 2020.

Along with their other positions out of the mainstream (guns, abortion, voter ID, obsession with identity politics) they could be handing Trump a second term.

that is, as long as the economy stays strong and Trump drops his insane tariffs and trade wars.

Senator McConnell deserves a lot of credit for Justice Gorsuch getting on the Supreme Court along with another Conservative Justice likely to get on the Supreme Court soon.

Democrats support sanctuary cities because there is on average a 45% reduction of violent crimes caused by minorities in them.
Some Democrats are floating the idea of abolishing ICE because it has become a bloated agency that is not as effective as its predecessor, the INS which was directly under the DOJ.
The Democrats are not weak on the border. They have been consistent in voting for reasonable boarder security bills over the last three decades. Remember that Bush tried to put forward a meaningful immigration bill that his party rejected. And since then either party has been able or willing to talk seriously about a new bill.
The Democrats want to find an answer to the citizenship question. And what is wrong with that? If a person wishes to become a citizen and go through the process, what is the question?

Then you better tell your masters that…because that is precisely what they’re pushing.

And you consider that fair? You consider not giving a sitting president his right to have a SCOTUS candidate go through the process as declared in the Constitution? What McConnell did with changing the rules and number of votes was a disgrace. And I hope that it will come back to bite him in history.

They are pushing what you want to believe and not listening to what they are saying.

You really shouldn’t insult Buzzi like that, she was funny as hell. Ginsburg is just a bad joke.

I agree some were more principled. I always considered the “temperament” controversy one of style, not substance. If you deliberate on Trump’s temperament under constant fake news attack, smear and conspiracy to defraud the Republic of a duly elected President, then his “temperament” compares with the greatest Presidents in history.

But his style is that of a business man whose bluster and hype are necessary tools to succeed, which he does.

You see a trade war brewing. I see negotiation. I see him making everyone uncomfortable because he is looking to overturn decades of “settled policy” America gets the short end of the stick every time.

I am confident the dust will settle, and much “fairer” trade will result with all our Allies and China.

While the jury is still out on NK. He sold Kim on a prosperous NK, no one ever did that before. It was genius even if in the end, it didn’t work. But I think it might.

But the OP’s title still holds, regardless whether the opposition feckless or genuine. We almost got Hillary, and there is no true conservative that can imagine on any level, that would have been a good thing.

And what would have resulted in the Supreme Court, is terrifying. We’d be statist slaves of the deranged class now rioting in the streets.

From that perspective, you are 100% correct. I genuinely thought of her instead of Ruth Ginsburg and so went with it.

I do owe her an apology and so I apologize to R. Buzi.

Incorrect. The Senate rules aren’t in the constitution, its should be the same as the House, majority rules. Schumer promised to get rid of the rules if they had the votes, they never got the votes.

McConnell is angering the base because he doesn’t do what Schumer promised to do, and so dozens of bills that should be passed, languish in the Senate. He is the principle reason why some would have let the Dem’s retake the Senate.

Establishment DemoReublican puke isn’t worth voting for.

But like a bad clock, he did get the Supreme court right. If only he would step down, and we get someone who wants to accomplish the Trump agenda. Stop pleasing Kstreet etc.

McConnell didn’t change the rules, Harry Reid did.

It was in fact McConnell who at the time warned the democrats in the Senate that doing so was going to come back and bite them in the butt and here we are.

A little over three years ago, Senator Mitch McConnell stood on the Senate floor and issued a warning to the Democrats who then controlled the majority.

“I say to my friends on the other side of the aisle, you’ll regret this,” McConnell, then the minority leader, told them. “And you may regret it a lot sooner than you think.”

At the urging of Majority Leader Harry Reid, Democrats had just voted along strict party lines to change the rules of the Senate, deploying what had become known in Washington as “the nuclear option.” McConnell and his Republican colleagues were furious. Under the new rules, presidential nominees for all executive-branch position—including the Cabinet—and judicial vacancies below the Supreme Court could advance with a simple majority of 51 votes. The rules for legislation were untouched, but the 60-vote threshold for overcoming a filibuster on nearly all nominations was dead. …

The Rules of the Senate are made by the Senate, not set by The Constitution.

You got it right. Memory was flawed, I recalled Schumer and Reid on the nuclear option for judges, but though he was advancing it for all legislation.

Still, majority should rule. The partisan “resist” movement where they don’t vote on bills they themselves once advanced, crossed the red line.

Its just gridlock now. All the bills the house has passed, have died in the Senate. That’s no way to run a country. If the Majority does what people don’t like, they can elect a new majority next time.

The cloture rule has worked for decades, it only became a problem when the democrats became so ridiculously and overtly partisan on virtually every issue.

Reid Blew it when he changed the rules and the democrats are going to have to learn to live with it now.

This is the kind the history that the right loves to tell. It’s not that the republicans controlled congress passed the fewest laws or cofirmesthe fewest judges, but because Reid changes the rules because of dem partisanship. Lol.

I think its an excuse for gridlock, which is financially rewarding to the establishment. They keep issues alive for fundraising long after they could have been settled

Its history, not fiction. Even when you don’t like it.

I don’t condemn Reid’s changes, I condemn McConnell refusing to do it for all Senate votes.

Norm, of course you do because as a parody account you know that the best thing that Mcconell can donis use the nuclear option for all votes and then when the Dems come to power … watch out

Personally, I didn’t really like the way how Judge Garland was treated by Senator McConnell and the Senate Republicans. But voters didn’t seem that bothered by it. Several GOP Senators got reelected during the following general election in November of 2016 including Senators Rubio and Toomey. If voters didn’t really like what these GOP Senators were during then they should’ve voted them out. But they didn’t vote them out, and most of these GOP Senators got reelected in November of 2016.