Never Forget! 9-11 remembrance thread

Just a place for us to reflect and remember those who lost their lives 18 years ago today. Those who gave their lives that day. And those who volunteered to give their lives to protect us and avenge these acts of terror…and to say your welcome to those who made it back.

Share if you want what you were doing that day, how you were affected, or anything else. It’s been a few years that I can remember that we had one of these on September 11th.

I am posting this at midnight Eastern Time. But share throughout your September 11th. Regardless of what time zone you’re in. Politics is fine…but let’s stay respectful. Opinions not debate. I don’t want this thread getting out of hand.

I remember after it was all done…both towers were gone…emotionally spent…i took my 3 year old daughter out to play. I was scared to death as where I live is directly over approach for Ohare and Midway. But it was quiet and peaceful as i stood at the end of the driveway as she rode her tricycle…there were no planes in the sky. For the first time in my life…no planes. Nothing but birds.

3 Likes

It should be a day of solemn remembrance and unity. Unfortunately that only lasted about 3 or 4 years.

Not for me. That day shook me to the core. I will never forget.

The debris cloud blew over into my neighborhood.

I smelled it

I know people who died there.

I will never forget.

2 Likes

I remember being in school with another teacher walking into the class. Hushed tones. A great deal of confusion as to what was going on and what the best course of action was. Eventually we ended up going home early for the day and the full scope of what had transpired became more clear.

I wish the unity in the months afterwards had been used for something positive. Unfortunately, we all remember what actually took place.

HBO is releasing a documentary tomorrow about my high school and September 11th - which was the first full day of my senior year.

I’ll never forget where I was. And I was only in the sixth grade.

It was for our generation what Pearl Harbor was for our grandparents and great grandparents generation.

One of my best friends is married to a Japanese woman. She explained to me that a lot of folks in Japan were upset with the comparison to Pearl Harbour. Back then we immediately knew who was attacking us. Although I must say that when I got the call that a plane had hit the WTC and turned on the TV and saw the second plane hit,
I said that it was Bin Laden.

Bush certainly had a united America at the time. History will judge the actions of Cheney and our involvement in Iraq.

I was speaking of just the shock of it.

Pearl Harbor was a huge shock to the American people who never thought that another world power would attack the nation so boldly.

9/11 was similar in that sense. We never anticipated someone would attack in such a manner.

I will say that out of the two 9/11 was a much more egregious attack. At least with Pearl Harbor one could make the case that the Japanese weren’t directly targeting civilians. There were civilian casualties at Pearl Harbor but they weren’t the targets. They were targeting US warships and aircraft.

Al-Qaeda targeted civilians intentionally. That makes it all the more egregious.

And that was the response I had for her. She did understand. And you are correct, it was a day just like our parents experienced that we will always remember where we were and our emotions at that time.

I am old enough to remember everything between the JFK assassination and 9/11. Each generation has a lot to deal with. And I can not downplay the power of WWII. But my generation has had its share.

I never missed a year.

Never Forget!

Clancy predicted it.

potentially getting his idea from fedex 705

I lived in Arlington, VA at the time. After the first hit, I quickly packed the 4x4 truck for bugout. Dirtbike, fuel, water, food, …

I reloaded the wind patterns online as fast as the overloaded internet could respond.

The winds looked favorable, the attack looked done.

No need to pull out all the stops.
I sat on the front porch and watched the green and white-topped choppers flying outbound at treetop level.

I said the exact same thing to my wife as second plane hit. I knew it was him.

It’s getting to the point where I’d just rather not even remember.

1 Like

I was off from work for many months due to a health issue back in 2001. I remember being glued to the tv crying and feeling helpless. I’ll never forget it. I didn’t know anyone personally but that feeling was of utter helplessness.

I was in a back office working, when someone came in and said…a plane just collided with one of the twin towers. I thought it was some small plane with a student pilot who screwed up. Then a couple of minutes later, they came back and said it happened again and a cold shivver came all over me. I knew right then…it was terrorism.

A bit later, there was a memorial and Placido Domingo sang Ave Maria like I’ve never heard it sung…before…or since.

1 Like