Neither tax cuts nor trade war having the desired effects

…according to the latest survey from the National Association of Business Economics.

Some key highlights:

81% of respondents indicate that the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) has not caused their firms to change hiring or investment plans

While there is some evidence a slightly higher number of goods-producing businesses have shifted investments back to the US, the overall effect on the economy is negligible.

The lack of a boom in capital expenditures is also in line with the most recent hard data from last week. While Friday’s gross-domestic-product report showed the economy growing at a solid pace, nonresidential fixed investment grew at its slowest pace in almost two years. Additionally, core durable goods orders also fell for the second straight month, according to the report released Thursday.

Also not surprisingly, Trump’s trade war is having an effect…a negative one. Again…not as badly as might be expected, but concentrated in those very same goods-producing companies…having the opposite effect of the tax cuts.

Overall, 77% of NABE respondents reported no changes to hiring and investment plans caused by trade policy. But again, the changes were more acutely felt by goods-producing firms.

“Goods-producing firms are more likely to have made changes, with 46% raising prices and 38% delaying investments, higher percentages than those in the July survey,” the release said.

I suppose the solution, of course, is to double down. Obviously the initial tax cuts weren’t steep enough. We’ll just have to do more…and also put the kibosh on the globalist heathens at the Fed who are deliberately trying to sabotage Trump.

Pay for it with steep cuts to Medicare and Social Security because surely this time the economy will take off like a rocket, and the elderly and retired will be taken care of with generous private pensions and stock investments.

Did I get those last two paragraphs right, guys?

Get ready for some more discontent during tax filing season. With the changes to withholding tables, a lot of people are going to be surprised that they owe if they or their accountant haven’t prepared correctly during the year.

1 Like

As my accountant told me the entire process of changing the tax code is completely ■■■■■■■ They held zero hearings on what the laws are actually supposed to accomplish so no one really knows what a good portion of it actually means.

1 Like

The tax cuts are, I keep more of my money. That is my desired effect.

1 Like

Yeah those are temporary

Not a problem. If the Democrats take the house, Trumpists will blame Democrats for their withholding problems.

This ■■■■ is easy to predict.

1 Like

We’ll see.

people like Jeff Bezos and Donald Trump profited massively though.

Both are working great… Trade change will happen quicker after Mid terms.

DEms have no solutions.

Trump is cool!

Lol you would!

Geez - GOP economic policy not delivering on promises? Again? Shocker.

In other news the sky is still blue.

and the debt is exploding.

Tax cuts weren’t deep enough

We need to give Trump and family another tax cut. They do too much manual labor.