Negroes and the Gun: The Black Tradition of Arms

I just started reading Negroes and the Gun: The Black Tradition of Arms
Nicholas Johnson

I’m about 50 pages into it. It’s fascinating.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/01/27/the-what-and-why-of-negroes-and-the-gun-the-black-tradition-of-arms/?utm_term=.f5f8f86cdc6e

Johnson is a law professor

Looks interesting, it’d be nice if the Post had linked to the subsequent four posts the author said he was going to make.

Hoplophobes aren’t going to like this one.

This was common for old school black folks especially in the 50s, 60’s and 70’s. My father came to this country in the 50’s and learned pretty quickly from one of his close friends(my mom’s brother who was a cop). He did the same thing, carried his pistol in a brown paper bag. Now that he is no longer with us my mom still has that same gun, in a brown paper bag. LOL

The most interesting thing in the book so far is the conscious decision to distinguish between political violence and self defense. Brilliant strategy.

I find these kind of topics are best digested in theoretical discussions or in this case, readings. Real life application on the otherhand is something completely different. See Malcolm X, The Black Panthers, etc.

I’ve read some excerpts but this one might actually be worth sitting down with.

I can’t tell much else so far other than the fact the author seems to be pretty bright and to have a very good grip on the history and an apparent abundance of common sense.

Does he get into the racist nature and effect of gun control laws?

If you read the book, you’ll learn it’s not theoretical.

1st line. First chapter.

Which is?

How the heck do you post with a quote so that one knows who you are responding to?

One of two ways. When you hit reply. There is a quote bubble in the left. OR you can select the text that you want to quote with your mouse/finger and it will allow you to quote

I wonder what Philando Castile would say about this topic.

Thanks.

Not being from Alaska helps. ;-p

Thank you.

I hate this site …

I was beginning to suspect that. :wink:

He’d probably tell you that when the cop says “don’t reach for it”, “don’t reach for it”.

This is a really good book.