Neat Map of American Indians

I won’t ask exact locations, but isn’t Mohican in upper NY state?

Don’t have the map open anymore, but the area was eastern NY, close to MA.

After losing the war, the British handed over all lands to the Americans, with the Peace of Paris in 1783. The British dishonored themselves when they did this, because they did so regardless of the fact the much of that land was not theirs to give, according to its treaties with native tribes.

I’m not trying to pry. But I’m guessing you’re blood must be much more than an eight. Most people who have an eighth of sixteenth of native American blood don’t even know it, or if they do, they were not raised that way.

If any of us have family roots here in the US, that can be traced back 200 years or so, we just might find out that we are decedents of our native Americans. It might change some peoples perspectives if they have a bond to our land which goes that deep.

I have no NA blood in me. I was simply going by the geographical locations listed when using the map at the link. Born in NY, moved to AL at age of 10.

An Ancestry DNA report showed me with 4% Cherokee blood. Hardly enough to matter.
I had never heard that and am not sure it’s true.

Oh. I assumed incorrectly, when you said you were raised Chickasaw.

You simply meant the lands you lived on at birth and your childhood?

It was a blood test then?

Even a sixteenth is no small thing. It means one of your loving grandparents could have been one quarter Cherokee.

I’m lucky enough to have had a tenacious, blood hound of a cousin, who got into ancestral genealogy while in college. She mapped out our entire heritage going back hundreds of years. She used birth, death, marriage and baptismal certificates, state historical archives, and met up with other historians who had mapped out their own lines that intersected with ours.

Saliva test. The one sold by Ancestry.com

Armed with actual evidence from my cousin’s research, it would be interesting to see how accurate a DNA test from my saliva would be. Especially if one of my sisters did it, since they have an unbroken line of Native American mitochondrial DNA.

New York

Yes.

10char