National Small Business Re-Open Day May 25th

Luckily there’s a flu shot available for seasonal flu. Also seasonal flu isn’t as contagious but let’s treat them the same and see how that works out.

We only have 90,000+ deaths so far in a few months. That’s comparable to the flu right?

1 Like

Nice bunch of straw man. Only worthy of me repeating what I actually said. Which is that most of the people who are at risk from Covid are at the same sort of risk from the flu in terms of surviving it. And whether or not the risk of catching them are the same, the consequences of getting either appear to be similar.

1 Like

You have a right to worry about folks but no right to control them because you are worried. Especially no right to deny them access to making a living.

When i say you i am really addressing the politicians who are trying to control people.

1 Like

The Spanish flu killed what? 1 million? 2 million?

700,000-800,000 in the US. More than seven times the number of Americans killed in France from March to November of 1918 in World War I (around 65,000 KIA).

Worldwide… no one really knows. It’s all over the place. The commonly accepted number is 50 million, but it could be as low as 25-30 million or as high as 100 million.

Zan’s point still stands. Someone with severe immunodeficiencies isn’t likely to survive a bad case or seasonal flu either. Or really much of anything.

At some point we have to open back up nationwide. It sucks but we can’t continue to do this forever and there’s no telling when a semi effective vaccine is going to drop.

4 Likes

I addressed your concern directly. “Do you self quarantine for the flu?” “No, I get a flu shot.”

I’m not at the same risk for seasonal flu as Covid-19 both because of the contagiousness AND because there’s a seasonal flu shot.

Both can kill you. You did get that right.

Non sequitur.

Both can be deadly. I concede that point.

Trying to compare them is nonsense.

Your flu shot is only partially effective. Some years they miss badly, do you self quarantine when they do?

1 Like

Which does not protect you from every strain of the flu.

You can still get the flu and many do.

I have a relative who is a school teacher. She lets me know when a flu outbreak starts, and yes I tend not to go out during that time.

We know that every year the flu virus mutates and therefore we are always a year behind getting a vaccine for the mutated strain.

That wasn’t the issue. Do you quarantine for every flu outbreak? The answer was I get a flu shot.

If you can’t tell what the issue is here, I can’t help you.

Look up two posts. The bad thing for me is that I am allergic to flu vaccine. So I’m pretty much a hermit during flu season.

That sucks for you in regards to options. Pretty much gives you no way to protect yourself except to self quarantine.

Yeah, but at least (for now) I’m above ground.

2 Likes

I don’t exist to please you. I don’t live my life to protect you. Stay home.

2 Likes

It is not about pleasing anyone. It is about respecting your fellow man. And if you don’t care about that, well then there is nothing more I can say. And I am staying at home because there are a bunch of rude people who want to live their lives as they want to and to hell with everybody else. And I’m sorry, but I have a real problem with that.

Actually it’s about protecting yourself and being scared.

What TC said was correct. It’s your job to protect YOU. Not everyone else’s job to protect you.

1 Like