My mom got her first Mederna shot this morning

And so far, so good! She’s scheduled for the second exactly one month from now, same time, same place.

8 Likes

Good for her. I also received the Moderna vaccine. My shoulder was surprisingly sore the next day. Also had a few hours of chills/aches before going to bed the next day. It seems these side effects are more common than with the yearly flu vaccine. Well worth it (in my opinion). I’ll get the second dose in a couple days.

I am and will still be wearing a mask and social distancing. To the disdain of some. :sunglasses:

Mom’s are so incredibly precocious. I’m so happy for her and for you.

I get moved to the front of the line because I smoke. Well, not me, but any smoker that wants it.

Hogwash. Nobody cares what you choose to do. You can wear a space suit or go naked if you choose. Your business. A few weeks after the over 65 group has been vaccinated, the death rate may tumble. Other people will be choosing to ditch their masks after being vaccinated. Not wanting to be part of a show.

2 Likes

Just know that the estimated time for immunity to kick in after the vaccination is two weeks.

And, yes, that figure could change in the future as we learn more about this thing.

Thanks for the unsolicited opinion.

[quote=“SottoVoce, post:7, topic:238049, full:true”]

My pleasure! You know that’s the whole point of this forum. Right?
:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Point is entertainment. When I’m not entertained, I’ll say so.

May she…

1 Like

Thanks, man! She said her arm was a little sore this morning, but it quickly passed after she got up.

Good for her. A senior relation who works in the nearby medical field received the 2nd shot this month (Pfeizer). Both times, he had a bit of soreness at the injection site, no other side effects at all.

Hey @SpacemanSpiff, did she get any side effects from it? I got mine on Wednesday and it kind of mucked me up for a day.

Sotto…interesting tidbit. All my residents who had COVID either in May or November who got the vaccine, all ran temps while the rest did not. Those who were severe enough to be hospitalized ran higher temps than those who were not so severe. My one resident who spent 50 days in hospital spiked a 101.

Hold on, spent 50 days in the hospital with Covid? Or due to the vaccine?

I can’t find any data, but that would seem to fit what is believed. Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are strongly reactogenetic. That means they cause a strong immune response/reaction. It appears the more times someone has been exposed to COVID (or the COVID vaccine), the more significant that response is. That response can show up as aches, chills, fever, etc. That’s why the second dose of the vaccine has a higher rate of side effects than the first. Having already had COVID would almost act like an additional dose of the vaccine (my assumption).

On a personal note, I had less injection site soreness with the second dose although the next day I ran a fever and had pretty significant myalgia which was much more severe than the first dose. Those were gone the following day. It wasn’t horrific, but I was glad I had the day off work.

She said her arm hurt a bit the next morning when she got up, but it quickly went away. BTW, my MIL is getting her first shot today, and my wife is getting her first shot on Feb 4th.

That sounds almost like an allergic reaction.

Pretty much. An allergic reaction is an immune response to an otherwise non-harmful substance. Your body mounts an immune reaction to non-harmful viral particles in order to create “immunity” to the actual virus.

i got my first shot thursday. arm was sore as hell yesterday,still a little sore today but not bad

1 Like