Much of the US water supply may not be safe to drink, per an unpublished federal study

I believe you can buy GAC water filters for home-use, so that may be the best bet on a consumer level.

I read through the whole article, I was assuming you already had or you would not have rushed over to post it.

I’m seeing a bunch of histrionics about maybe’s and possibles and the ever popular “could be’s”.

They are claiming that the equivalent levels on the scale of one grain of sand evenly distributed throughout 660,000 gallons of water.

To achieve such a level of purity is insanely expensive and would require basically adding RO processing to every water plant in the US.

As an Actual Taxpayer I certainly don’t want us flying off of the handle jumping into this with our eyes closed and most certainly not until enough research has been done to justify it.

If people are worried let them buy their own in home RO filtration units.

I have one and so do millions of other people.

Around here our well water is so mineral rich we have to use RO systems. Otherwise your pipes will fill up quickly with deposited sediments.

Even with RO filtration water heaters have a very short lifespan.

Industrial scale RO filtration is extremely expensive and difficult to manage.

The intervention early this year — not previously disclosed — came as HHS’ Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry was preparing to publish its assessment of a class of toxic chemicals that has contaminated water supplies near military bases, chemical plants and other sites from New York to Michigan to West Virginia.

The study would show that the chemicals endanger human health at a far lower level than EPA has previously called safe, according to the emails.

First…was the EPA lying before Trump took over or did they…just:roll_eyes:…discover this? Look at the sites that are causing the problem? It’s government run or government regulated. Now they’ve been telling us “fracking” is completely safe. This is another subject I’ve been screaming about that the reward of less expensive gas at the pump is not worth losing drinking water. Water that sustains human life is more important than gas that runs your car or that gets a handful of people stinking rich.

Some how, some way…this too will be blamed on Trump by the MSM. “If ya don’t believe me just watch.”

it’s all about $$$$.

I’d be more inclined to be concerned if there were not environmentalist wackos trying to set our hair on fire every year or so. But now, you can’t trust what they say.

They published guidance on the issue in 2016.

Does the “study” actually show any harm at these levels or does it simply make assertions?

I’ve always thought the water in rochester was contaminated. The people here are tribal and violent as ■■■■■

That’d make it Flint-ja-vous all over again?

This is just the libs way of trying to rebrand the Teflon Don as a bad moniker.

Pretty much. Fifty or sixty years of bad policy by democrats at the state and local levels suddenly becomes the fault of the new president if he happens to be a Republican.

Flint wasn’t water treatment, but the pipes that deliver the water.

Huge difference.

1 Like

Maybe they should when they have conclusive findings and recommendations?

And lead pipes are damaging health in more cities than just Flint, and the city governments are sticking their heads in the sand just as Flint’s government did. (For example, Sebring).

From the article:

Despite the life-altering consequences of lead poisoning, there is no national plan to get rid of those pipes. A top reason for continuing to use lead service lines instead of immediately digging them up is that utilities can treat water so it forms a coating on the interior of the pipes — a corrosion barrier that helps prevent lead particles from dislodging and traveling to your faucet. But if the water chemistry changes, the corrosion controls can fail.

That’s what happened in Flint after the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality told the Flint Water Treatment Plant not to maintain corrosion controls that had previously been in place before the city switched water sources in 2014.

Sounds like a fight for relevance. Damn Trump and his regulation cuts!

If a bottle of water says, “purified” it’s nothing but tap water.

If a bottle says, “natural spring water” you’ll just have to trust that the source is good.

If a bottle says, “vapor distilled water” I’ll drink that one.

Of course… there’s always carbon filters for the tap faucet. :confused:

it’s all about money.

and as i’ve said a million times before, if you want to commit murder (or just poison people) the best way to do it is VERY slowly. for some reason, in those cases where that happened, we don’t seem to view it like other murders/poisonings. i think most companies know that. i think some companies (or governments) know it and use it to react VERY slowly.

I was responding to someone posting that flint was having a water treatment issue. That was not a correct statement