More leftist stupidity in California

True, this speeds it up though.

1 Like

Nope. Let the ones who bitched about “living wages” in entry-level jobs enjoy their progress.

You have no evidence of this.

Hilarious. Yes I do, it’s called math.

1 Like

You used math to show that automation is accelerating and is correlated with increasing wages?

Oh please share

Of course it’s a bad law and should be overturned.

On the bright side though, THIS is the correct way to levy an excise tax (like a luxury tax, or an anti-gasoline tax.)

Currently, we tax diamonds, and liquor, and gasoline, and the money goes to the government and , , , we can be reasonably certain that whatever the government does with the money, creates “less good” than if that money had simply gone to the rank-and-file employees in that business.

Kinda like saying: "If you’re gonna drink liquor or eat fast food or whatever you should be willing to pay enough for it that the employees working there get a living wage.

1 Like

I don’t understand this response. Robots and AI are coming regardless of “living wages,” and you’ll enjoy or suffer from that progress just like everyone else.

I think a good minimum wage for California should be driven by what the market supports because that business model takes into consideration not just the worker, but the business owner AND the consumers.

In your example you ignore the poor ( and middle class) consumers completely. Aren’t you one of the guys ever so worried about the plight of the POOR students who would be affected if the government allowed parents to take money from public schools in the other thread? You also claim that government paid vouchers would drive prices upward?

So using the cost you gave ( which is low btw), parents with 3 kids could buy each child 2 cheeseburgers for 4.80 per child ( and I’m not including tax), that’s 14.40. Do the little tykes want fries? Well of course they do. 2.40 for a small order of fries sound good? Great, add another 7.20 ( plus tax ), and what would be a meal be without a drink to wash it down? Let’s make those small drinks ok? A buck each- add 3 to your running total. 24.60 + tax. But wait, were mom and dad going to eat too? It is a family meal after all. Let’s assume dad is normal, no cheeseburgers for him, he wants a dad sized sandwich. Add 8 bucks, large fry- 3.79, large drink 1.50, add 13.29 for his food but don’t forget mom! Let’s get her the same as the kids ok, another 8.20… GRAND TOTAL 46.09 + TAX! For ONE meal. And this using low low figures. Add 20%, now it’s over 55.00. Does that sound like something poor people ( or most middle class) can afford?

See, every time you whine about your deep concern for poor people, you toss that concern right out the window with stuff like this…

22 bucks an hour sounds great for the burger flippers right? Not so much for everyone else though.

Read the OP again. McDonald’s is a mega corporation. Try and keep up Allen…

It’s still a 50% increase in wages. You skipped over that part.

50% only costs 20% increase in food prices for fast food chains with over 100 restaurants?

That seems like a deal, right?

Perhaps, but if you worked at Bob’s burger joint for 15 bucks an hour and the McDonald’s across the street had to pay 22, how many people do you think will choose to work at Bob’s? Screw Bob huh?

2 Likes

Large corporations can typically already pay more in wages than a small business. Even without a minimum wage increase.

100% incorrect.
Most fast food restaurants are franchises.
Fred & Sally want to open a restaurant.
They can call it “Fred & Sally’s Burgers” but then they face several problems like name recognition, finding consistent suppliers etc.

So Fred and Sally open their restaurant as a franchise.

Darden (owners of Olive Garden and other restaurants)
Chick Fil-et, Starbucks, Chipotle etc. are NOT franchises but they are the exception.

1 Like

So it would have mattered if I answered differently?

Fine Dining, where the rich go, is exempted.
So your multimillionaire celerity chef who runs a expensive restaurant in NAPA Valley, can pay whatever wages he wants.

But if John and Sally open a Subway franchise catering to Walmart workers, waitress moms and the underemployed etc. -----> Whoa they are evil . they must be punished!!!

3 Likes

1 Like

This is a Subway Franchise. Providence (above) is exempted from this law.
Subway is the specific target of this law.

Also pictured are actual subway franchise owners, and actual subway customers.

The owners’ average investment is $400,000 and their average after tax income is $40.000 plus personal wages. (10% plus wages.)

The new law requires that the customers should pay higher prices and the owners should receive a smaller profit.

I’ve seen crazier laws, but umm no. this law is not a good law.

1 Like

Reminds me of when the big-box stores like Wal-Mart and Lowes were exempted from the COVID panic and the small stores had to toe the CDC line.

3 Likes

Point taken. I’m of the opinion (some) FF restaurants have employees that are not service oriented, conscientious or possess the social skills to interact with customers paying for meals.
I also do not think doubling their wages will correct that, in their minds it will never be enough.

2 Likes

Or the private jets at Davos.
The rich and famous fly in
and then tell us that gas taxes should go up
& we need to buy cars that use less gas.

3 Likes