More Employers Should Have This Spirit

My first boss (RIP Tony) was a dyed in the wool born again evangelical.

I who worked under him am an Unitarian.

We became fast friends and were until the day he passed on.

See we respected each other differences. And agreed to disagree on the subject.

Never stopped us from discussing it from time to time at work.

I respected the hell out of him. And would work such a strong principled gentleman again in a heartbeat.

Allan

2 Likes

You can do the job properly and still discuss diversity issues when they come up.

I would not last long with you as my supervisor.

Way too rigid.

You should have a more accommodating attitude.

Allan

I’ll decide what attitude I should have thank you very much.

The memo the company sent out apparently included something about staying off of company discussion boards with the political stuff.

I would demand that.

You wanna talk politics with your co workers on your own personal social media on your own personal time that’s your choice.

So no you probably wouldn’t last long with me as your supervisor.

On the other hand, And you wouldn’t last too long as a supervisor with the big company with your attitude towards your employees.

Allan

We have had policy discussions in the past, but I always noticed that they tended to get out of hand.

When I managed my own store, I didn’t necessarily forbid it, but I made it clear that the second it impacted productivity it would be put to a halt immediately. Fortunately for productivity, there wasn’t a whole lot of political diversity. 90% of my employees were black democrats. I lean heavily right, but I also don’t discuss politics at work so it was never a big deal for me.

It never impacted productivity so it wasn’t a big deal for me.

Dude you know nothing about me other than that we disagree on pretty much everything.

I would seriously suggest you drop it. My history is one of very successful management and building my own business…So like I said this would be a good time to drop it.

1 Like

And part of the beauty of our country is freedom. Freedom to fire your boss if you don’t like his rules. 1/3 of this company did exactly this. The system is working.
:us:

1 Like

I know what kind of supervisor you are from your own words.

In the big company, the company encourages out of the box thinking from its employees and discussion.

You have rigid rules.

Hence you wouldn’t be a good fit for the big company.

Allan

Ya being in the software industry these people are nuts if they were working for a fortune 100 company they would be lucky to be there in the first place and not immediately replaced with and Indian worker willing to do the same work for a 1/3rd of the pay without benefits.

I am afraid all of us agnostics and atheists wasn’t counting what would take the place of religion now we are beginning to see it over the past decade. Politics, of which select politicians are the deities praying on the alter of political correctness and to the goddess Intersectionality.

1 Like

I’ve thought this for a while. Much of humanity has a need to follow, or believe in a higher cause. If religion is out of the public square, something else will replace it and not necessarily for the better.

Here is a much more detailed, less biased account of the situation.

I’m shocked daily wire left out important details

Would eliminating the list of “funny names” have been an easier solution? That was very unprofessional, and, in some lines of work where confidentiality is an issue, may get one canned.

I agree with any company that wants issues like diversity discussed off the clock. The non-discrimination clause should work just fine.

Why disrupt any company’s primary purpose to discuss social issues? It’s distracting and takes away from time needed for the job at hand.

LOL…as soon as I saw Shapiro’s face pop up, I cringed.
Still read the article… then went out to find one that told the whole story, w/out spin.

LOL, something to fume about :sweat_smile:

That seems like the right policy to me. Employees opinions don’t really matter unless they are directly related to their work.

1 Like

Another way to perceive this would be - I have a supervisor and she’s great.

Yep. In the interview, expectations are usually laid out. If politicking isn’t part of the job description then go somewhere where it is.

I actually got pulled off the floor, with a lot of work to be done, to complete diversity training.

“Management wants it, and you’re almost at the deadline.”

Have actually had training that was more relevant to safety and other concerns that was deadline approaching, and except for email, nobody said anything.

Is there now a new class of emergency? A diversity emergency?

1 Like

I don’t think like that.

Allan

Why not ? Was the way I phrased it not a true statement ? You don’t have a supervisor who’s great ?