MLB looking into political tweets by major league umpire

Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred has confirmed that Major League Baseball is investigating two decidedly political tweets by a longtime umpire, reports ESPN. Rob Drake, who’s been a major league umpire since 1999 and full-time since 2010, made these two tweets that were deleted shortly thereafter. The account has since been deactivated.

The first, according to ESPN’s story:

Drake tweeted late Tuesday that he planned to buy an AR-15 rifle “because if you impeach MY PRESIDENT this way, YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER CIVAL WAR!!! #MAGA2020.”

The second:

“You can’t do an impeachment inquiry from the basement of Capital (cq) Hill without even a vote! What is going on in this country?”

For one, the guy needs to learn to use a spellchecker. But how stupid of him.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with his 2nd tweet but his 1st is scary. This guy is willing to murder law enforcement, duly elected officials, etc., should Trump be removed from office after highly public trial on his offenses and votes by both parties?

Whatever happened to the “civilized” US where the rule of law is supposed to prevail, unlike banana state republics.

He’s scurrrrrred lol.

1 Like

While he should clearly be fired for the tweets, the phrasing is vague enough that I don’t see any “threat” that would amount to a criminal offense.

The civil war tweet was over the line.
The second tweet is fine I have no issue with it.

Fired? People say stupid stuff like that all the time, what’s he being fired for? Like you said, it was vague enough.

I agree the first one is over the line. The second is just dumb (because we all know it’s not true, right).

Because its bad PR for the MLB.

3 Likes

Something tells me this guy is all bravado. He has to go buy an AR15. Any self respecting civil war instigator would already own a few.

1 Like

No, that isn’t what he said in his tweet.

Preparing for a catastrophic event does not equate to being willing to instigate it.

Let me refer you back to the Rodney King Riots and what was necessary for people to defend themselves and their own property during same.

1 Like

What catastrophic event? The completely constitutional removal of a president?

3 Likes

I think the fact he deleted his tweet and entire twitter account shows me that he had a momentary lapse of judgement and came to realize this was a bad move. I wouldn’t fired him.

Yep fired. I am sure the umpires union has a best for the game clause in it.

Not a good look for baseball for an impartial umpire to tweet that out.

Allan

1 Like

A civil war would be a “catastrophic event”.

That’s a huge stretch seeing as how it’s purely political and has nothing to do with his ability to call a game fairly.

So there is not a chance of bias. You are kidding me, right?

Allan

In the present of 2019 America . A civil war is an imagery event made up by people. Any rebellion would be put down immediately.

We have a constitution. Those are the rules of America.

Don’t like it. Amend the constitution to abolish impeachment.

Lol.

Hint: good luck with that.

Allan

Ps—elections have consequences.

Why will this idiot need an AR-15 if there’s an impeachment? To protect himself from the evil President Pence?

Seriously, does he think Democrats will start causing violence and he will have to protect himself? Or does he plan on killing a bunch of innocent people because they were mean to poor Donald?

3 Likes

Why would the left cause a catastrophic event if Trump was impeached? Wouldn’t they be celebrating?