Mitt Romney another RINO

I still believe that there are a significant number of Republicans who do not like this president. And a portion of them are the “old money” types. I believe that Mitt is trying to position himself to coordinate a possible primary challenge to Trump.

I still think we would be better off now had Romney won in 2012.

From the time I’ve joined here, I’ve been fascinated by the way that RINO/“real conservative” get defined in often arbitrary or incoherent ways. But the definition is all-encompassing, non-negotiable, and black-and-white with regard to tribal membership.

So in 2004, when I joined, real “Republicans” and “conservatives” were defined on this forum entirely by absolute support for the war in Iraq and the Bush administration, even though the former, in particular, wasn’t conservative at all. And now, of course, they’ve distanced themselves from it by electing a guy who earned the GOP nomination, in part, by dishonestly claiming he opposed the war before it started.

What makes Trump a “real” conservative and “real” Republican, but not Romney, or Corker, or Flake, or whomever (who, by the way, vote with Trump and the GOP almost 100% of the time)? It’s bizarre. And, as with Iraq, sooner or later they’re going to have shove Trump down the memory hole and evade responsibility for him.

10 Likes

What worthwhile things have you accomplished in your life that enables you to look down on them?

Trump will become the RINO soon enough.

It was much more than that. Romney mentioned the dreaded “primary” word. Methinks Trump ■■■■ a brick today.

I like Romney as a Senator. If he brings some different ideas we can listen and learn.

1 Like

Support Trump = “Real conservative”

Criticize Trump = RINO

Its that simple.

Not sure where the information on Romney and McCain never accomplished anything came from, but they are both very accomplished.

Romney served as CEO of Bain Capital, served in leadership in his church, and was a governor. He also has been a faithful husband, which is a hell of a lot more than you can say about Trump.

McCain was a soldier, a POW, and spent a lifetime in public service. He has left a lasting impact on the Senate during his tenure there.

Trump is RINO on some (even many) issues, and conservative on others.

Ditto Romney.

The all-or-nothing pigeon holing is for the birds.

2 Likes

I disagree. To be conservative I believe you must have at least a modicum of principled ideology. Mr. Trump has proven that he is rudderless when it comes to principle of any kind.

RUSN
10char

2 Likes

Dems made people think Romney is cruel to dogs and cheated on his taxes. He can’t seem to learn from that…

1 Like

When what he actually did was raid the pension funds of companies via handsome dividends to himself while loading them up with insurmountable debt.

1 Like

See, the dems will attack any rep unmercifully. Even nice moderates. Why dim bulbs like Romney can’t seem to figure that out is beyond me…

Stating a fact is not an attack and I ain’t no dem.

2 Likes

Romney got about 93% of the Republican vote from the 2012 Presidential election. And I think that he supports Trump on the border wall.

I have asked several times for a list of all the Republicans and have it pointed out on that list which ones are the RINOs and which ones are the real and true Republicans. However, I never got that list.

1 Like

I suppose dodging the draft with the help of daddy’s doctor friend accounts for something quite special. It sure beats putting your life on the line for your country, right?

2 Likes

An ■■■■■■■ extraordinaire.