Mississippi legislators vote to remove Confederate emblem from state flag

No. I don’t pretend to speak for other people of color.

As a fact, though, that flag wasn’t meant for black and mixed people. It doesn’t do a very good job of representing black people considering its history.

Individuals may differ on their views. Me personally, it doesn’t bother me. One of my best friends flies a southern cross on his truck.

my family had nothing to do with the original 13 colonies or establishing any of the 50 states, especially the ones we have lived in. But I embrace the symbolism of the flag as my own. So aside from my own decision to embrace the flag, how does it represent me?

I suspect many black Mississippi men and women helped build that state. Given that that flag represents that work, I would think they will feel a loss as its symbolism is resigned to the trash heap… along with the effort that it took to bring it to 2020.

Not in the case of the current flag design. Mississippi had by far the worst of the Jim Crow laws. The now deceased flag helped symbolize the Jim Crow era. It was created in 1894, during the height of Jim Crow Mississippi.

If anything that particular flag is a flag of trauma for both white and black Mississippians. It wasn’t just blacks who suffered under Jim Crow. Poor whites got screwed, too.

It’s time to move on from it. I think the Stennis flag is an excellent replacement and I hope it is the one that is chosen by the people of Mississippi to represent us.

they still built the state they live in… under that flag. I don’t care if you call the phenomenon the Stockholm syndrome, they would have had pride even under that flag .

■■■■ Jim Crow. Long gone.

ahh. now the riots will stop

good thinking

Why?

They’ll just get a new flag…like lots of states have done.

ahh mississippi.
poorest state in the country. a atate whos poverty level ranks with namibia
where 25% of the population doesnt finish high school

The protests here have been pretty peaceful compared to the rest of the country.

Jackson is on a knife’s edge. But it’s always two seconds away from complete anarchy. It’s Jackson. Part of its charm.

Yeah it’s pretty poor.

Doesn’t mean you can’t be successful here. Plus the costs of living are the lowest in the country so that does make up some of the difference.

Still we need more middle class jobs. That’s the one thing the state government has been decently successful at since 2000. Every state government, both republican and Democrat, have prioritized job creation.

There were no automobile plants here before 2003. Our tech industry was non-existent until just a few years ago. Our service sector economy is still pitiful, but there is yearly progress on that front.

The state is a lot better now than it was before Katrina. That’s for sure.

Worst case scenario we go 30 years without a state flag at all.

We didn’t have one from the end of the Civil War until 1894. So it’s not impossible lol.

to be successful in Mississippi it helps to be white
1/3 of all blacks there are below th epoverty line

from your article

And for quite a few of them, a government safety net of welfare and unemployment makes being poor a lifetime goal.

Yikes

1 Like

I know…the unadulterated ignorance.