Misrepresented Bible Passages

:violin:

Quit derailing the thread and getting personal

This forum has always been slow

Nor you.

How in the world can you believe in reincarnation? I mean, jesus, how stupid can you be?

I dont believe in reincarnation but I already told you that. What exactly do you think I believe?

Not always. Just since you showed up and starting making every thread about YOU.

Well, like I said, enjoy yourself.

You and your stupd reincarnation crap.

(Again, do you see the irony? Of course not.)

Exactly what do you think I believe?

Dont worry. I have thick skin. And would love to talk about whatever it is you think I believe. You see I’m a forgiving person. I hold no grudges.

Misrepresented.

Perhaps, misinterpreted.

I figure that Catholics and Protestants would both say that the other side has misrepresented or misinterpreted particular passages.

I think the OP asks a question that is very open ended. I would say that both sides would consider that the other side has misrepresented passages.

Confession
Transubstantiation
The status of Mary

You could make a VERY long list.

In all fairness, the Christians did their part in killing off discussion here. With every thread devolving into Catholicism is the evil, or Mormons are wrong, etc. It got old real quick.

1 Like

Genesis 1:27 - So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

I think this one gets misinterpreted a lot, in that people think God looks like a person. I feel like that cheapens God by bringing Him down to our level. The ratios of the human body are the same ratios found everywhere in the Universe.

You and I can have a civil and friendly discussion about spirituality any time you’d like. It might be refreshing to converse with an atheist who has the faculties to comprehend a belief in God beyond the interpretations of an organized text.

I can go there as well. What is the difference between a belief in a God with no attachment to an organized text and atheism? I don’t see much difference. Is it the possibility of an afterlife?

I suppose an atheist could be a pantheist (I’m technically a pantheist). Most atheists here reject theism

Not sure I understand the phrasing. The difference between 
?

Pre-amble, I still call myself a Christian because it’s what I’m familiar with and I still believe in what Christ Himself has spoken. I don’t believe in God the way other Christian seem to (in general).

I do take the bible literally. I am thankful for it and for Jesus, who made a way for me, a flawed individual, to enter into his kingdom.

Many believers in God, often myself included, fail to realize how big He is. Imagine if you were a creator. You make a machine out of live tissue instead of minerals. Then you give this machine the ability to heal itself. Not just fault code logic, but to actually fix itself. You then give it the ability to reason. Not to do the things you want it to do, and actually made it for, but for it to actually make choices as to whether it wanted to do X and help you, or Y and hinder you. That is how I see Free Will. We have the choice. Finally, if we make the wrong choice and hinder this Creator, He is watching and hoping we will change or choices and return back to Him.

If our Creator is that big, and I believe that He is, it is a small task for Him to make talking snakes.

Let’s start with what you have. In the ones listed, a different focus rather than misinterpretation may be the key.

Catholics see Christ’s teachings and way of life as a Sacramental way of life. First, Sacrament comes from sacred, designating God’s grace, and the signs Christ instituted signifying this grace.

1. Baptism - Christ was baptized and commanded the Apostles to Baptize.
  2. Confession - Christ proclaimed the forgiveness of sins, and throughout the Gospel assured individuals their sins are forgiven. People heard this.

Early Christians and Catholics certainly did not misunderstand or misinterpret what Christ said and did. Proclaiming (and hearing) that sins are forgiven is one of Christ’s major teachings and that is why, just like Baptism and the Eucharist, it is incorporated into Catholic life. The priest stands in Christ’s place and we hear the words Christ spoke: “Your sins are forgiven.”

Now let’s look at the Protest focus. Perhaps they are so certain their sins are forgiven, they don’t need to hear the words spoken to them. Their focus is on what Christ’s death accomplished, and that is direct access to God.

Are Catholics wrong to practice all aspects of Christ’s life?
Are Protestants wrong in thinking we all have direct access to God?

In this case, is anyone misinterpreting any Bible passage?

What I mean is there are some theists who don’t believe that God runs our day to life and don’t necessarily believe in heaven or hell, so to me it’s similar to being an atheist except that there is a ‘Who’ out there somewhere instead of a ‘What’.

Much of ancient mythology personified processes in the world. That carried into biblical text where God was given human attributes

Many do understand that the passage is speaking of spiritual qualities. The Bible is quite clear that we cannot fully know and understand God
yet being a person, the best way we have of relating to God is on a person(al) level. Your warning is well-taken. Sometimes it is good to reflect on how far God is beyond what we are.

1 Like

God and the gods have been convoluted over the centuries.

Take Venus for example, the god(dess) of things involving base sexual instincts. What makes a god a god? It cannot be killed, and it controls you. The names and titles and languages and cultures will live and die, come and go, but the god of sex (our base sexual instincts) will live on in us as long as we exist as humans.

God is the High God because it is the Word. More on that later.

Yes, in many aspects, God and the gods do indeed interfere with and control our daily lives, even in negative ways, but it’s not because they’re immature jerks, it’s because they are us, and we’re the jerks.

Jesus lost many of his followers when he told them, “Unless you eat of my flesh
” He never called them back saying, “Hey, wait a minute! I was only speaking figuratively.” Thus, the main focus of Catholics is “This is my body
this is my blood
”

Protestants are intent on “Do this in memory of me.”