Misrepresented Bible Passages

Someone else here noted that perhaps, in this world, we are all still undergoing the birthing process.

Purgatory is another great theory, I’ve reflected on myself. I’m growing to like the other one better. That way we have that additional chance of later being purged of the evil and heartlessness we sincerely regret doing here.

I just wish the book of Genesis was written down by Father Abraham instead of Moses.

Yep. We don’t stop, or end, or even “die.”

We become.

Well put.

1 Like

I lean more with those who say that the first five books attributed to Moses were written by many (the E-J-P-D model). ‘E’ stands for those who reference God as Elohim (sometimes in plural); J for those who reference God as Yahweh; P for priests; D for those who wrote Deuteronomy (the legal beagles we might say).

1 Like

Everyone likes a mulligan on how they treat other humans. I can imagine that the first would be more palatable.

Why didn’t God himself make it permanently written in the sky so it automatically changes languages so whomever is reading it understands it? Even if they don’t know how to read.

Then there would be no confusion.

Peace on Earth.

Good question. I have no idea.

Yet another religious discussion thread shut down by atheists who don’t want to discuss religion but just want to reiterate their own anti-religious talking points again and again and again and again.

And I say this as an atheist.

Guys - we all KNOW your opinions and questions with answers you don’t like - because EVERY SINGLE TIME someone tries to start a religious discussion thread on a certain topic, you butt in with your crap…

1. People shouldn’t believe in a “fairy” in the sky.
  2. Will people have free will in heaven?
  3. Why is the God of the old Testament a psyho? (An opinion/question I’ve expressed many times in an appropriate thread.)

The religious folks here know our opinions as athiests - we don’t have to say it in every damn thread where they (or I) am trying to have a conversation about a specific aspect of Christianity.

There’s how many replies here? And not one on topic.

What are the replies here? The usual suspects saying the usual things about atheism, unwilling to learn anything about the points of views of others and just letting them talk.

This forum is dead and you guys have killed it.

I guar-ron-tee you that any religious person here knows the stock responses that each one of you uses in every thread.

If you want to discuss atheism and how it relates to the Bible, can’t you just create that thread?

And if these guys start a thread in an attempt to talk about aspects of Christianity or some other religion, can’t you just accept, “for the sake of discussion” what they’re saying and just enter into the game?

As an athieist, I’m interested in learning how other, religious folks think about their religion. I’m not interested in reading what my fellow atheists think …over and over and over and over again in every…single…thread.

Because after about the hundredth time…I know it by heart. So does everyone else here.

Can’t you guys just start a thread on “what atheists think about this or that section of the Bible”, and when someone starts a thread in which they want to talk about a specific aspect of religion, just them them do so? If you don’t want to play the game, rest assured every single person reading the thread will still know our opinion of it. You don’t have to repeat it.

5 Likes

OK Good Point.

Out.

At least one person in here does believe in the Bible literally - that the earth was created in 7 days, etc.

So I’d be interested in reading the answer to your question from both those religious viewpoints.

There’s a Bible passage about not yoking two unequal beasts together.

Some religious people - or people who claim to be religious - says this justifies not having different races marry.

I know what I and my fellow atheists believe on this subject - we’ve all probably expressed our views when this subject has come up on this forum in the past as I’m sure it has.

What I*’*d like to know is how Bible literalists and Bible allegoricalists interpret that passage?

I love your optimism. 2 people, one rule they both knew and they still didn’t follow it. They also blamed any one they could instead of owning up to their failure. Why do you think we would do any better?

Moses and Zipporah. Moses’ sister Miriam angrily admonished her brother for marrying a black woman. This displeased God, and Miriam was struck with leprosy. Paul asked Philemon to accept Onesimus as a brother in Christ. (No slave, no free man, not male or female, just one in Christ.)

Biblically, unequally yoked represents believer and unbeliever; the moral and immoral. It does not indicate race.

1 Like

The passage in question:

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

The passage has nothing to do with race. The context of the passage makes it obvious the light and darkness reference is part of an allegory that good and evil are incompatible. Light drives out darkness. Christ brought righteous and salvation while Belial brought wickedness to man.

In addition to what Meri pointed out, it was quite clearly stated to the Israelites that the reason why God did want them to intermarry with other people had nothing to do with race purity and everything to do with them turning from God and worshiping idols.

2 Likes

Mr high horse is back I see. Your post is off topic.

No it isnt

Oooh…upset with me now because I was rude to you about your stupid reincarnation theory?

You can dish out the contempt for people’s beliefs - over and over again - but can’t take it?

Forgive me for getting frustrated because I politely ask - several times - for people to “stipulate, for the sake of discussion, that God exists” so we could have a convversation about religion.

If you’re not willing to stipulate that then don’t get in the thread and post your tired old screeds over and over again which is what you do.

We’ve read them over and over again - you don’t need to keep repeating them…because we’ve read them over and over again.

Settle down there d00d (and no, I’m not upset). Kind of fascinated tbh

Not everything is about you. Welcome to the public internet. There are PMs if you want to control things.

Four days before a new thread was started.

By Meri.

With most responses off topic and repeating the same old screed.

I suppose the apocolyptic people might return and try to convert everyone… no discussion in those threads, etiher, just ridicule. (Deservedly so, I don’t deny.)

Well, I’m outa here.

Enjoy yourself, “I’mRightYou’reWrong.” You and your stupid “reincarnation beliefs.” [Do you get the irony there, btw? I doubt it.)

1 Like