Min Wage Hikes Hurting Business

You’re speculating again. You don’t need to. The truth is out there. Start here: https://evans.uw.edu/sites/default/files/w25182.pdf

Yes we do.

On a related note: One impact of the minimum wage increases in Seattle was: “an 8% reduction in job turnover rates” among the tens of thousands of low wage workers studied. This can be seen as good news and bad news. Stability is good for both workers and employers but it is bad for new, inexperienced workers trying to enter the job market.

no not based on outcome of one restaurant. but why base this on closings? just because the business can absorb the increase doesnt mean it didnt lay people off, increase prices etc

sounds like he threw in the towel

how so?

Wow, what a boon democrats got for them

https://evans.uw.edu/sites/default/files/w25182.pdf

While these workers experienced a modest reduction in their hours worked, on net their pretax earnings increased an average of around $10 per week.

The less experienced half saw larger proportionate decreases in hours worked, which we estimate to have fully offset their gain in wages, leaving no significant change in earnings.

And if you keep reading you find those more experienced workers got those gains, by adding hours outside the city.

Taken in the context of our results on overall hours worked, these results indicate that experienced workers had some capacity to offset hours reductions in Seattle by finding work outside the city. While the effect is modest in magnitude, it implies that a non-negligible portion of the weekly earnings increases accruing to more-experienced workers can be attributed to increased work outside the city.19

I am sure they are thankful they had their hours cut and had to get a second job outside the city to make it up, since transport if so easy for poor workers.

And final nail in the coffin.

Thus, while prior estimates conclude the total amount paid to low wage workers in Seattle declined by 6-7 percent (Jardim et al., 2018)

But that’s ok right? The experienced workers made it up by getting a second job outside the city, so Success!

1 Like

Yay. You can read.

I can, which is why I don’t hand out links that actually make my debate opponents point for them.

Similarly, they might have been able to stay open after the min wage hike had they tried. I guess we’ll never know.

theres another option there. you could believe the owner is not lying

Sure, he could just be wrong and not know it.

I’m not much concerned with winning a debate. I am concerned with understanding how the economy works and with supporting economic practices that are beneficial.

That’s why, in my first post in this thread, I wrote that I am not convinced that minimum wage increases are the best way to help low wage workers.

If you read the entire report that I sent to you (and not just cherry pick a few lines that help you “win” and argument with an anonymous stranger online) you’ll find that, at this point, the minimum wage increases have been beneficial to low wage workers with job experience, but have made it more difficult for those with less experience or no experience to find work or get ahead.

FWIW, There are likely a lot of areas where you and I agree on this subject. I don’t think we are opponents.

I am glad that you are now referring to studies of what is actually happening rather than just speculating or citing articles that speculate about what impacts might occur.

1 Like

not know how much more he has to pay his staff? hmmm.

Not know what caused his business to fail.

1 Like

No, it hasn’t been beneficial, unless you consider being forced to get another job outside the city to make up for lost hours a benefit. And don’t complain about an adversarial tone to my posts after you feign surprise that I can read. I didn’t come into this subject not having previously done quite a bit of reading on the subject of the efficacy of minimum wage hikes, I wasn’t speculating I was applying knowledge I acquired at an earlier date.

i see. he’s not a liar now. just “stupid”. narrative evolves…

You said he’s stupid not me. Smart people self-delude to cover their own failings. Happens all the time.

Just speculating here. There are a whole lot of possibilities.

Yes it has.

That’s a bunch of nonsense. I laser focused on the plethora of other reasons this place is not still open.

Yes we can. We have the CEO admitting the screwed up.

It was a thread fail. Repeatedly.

Yes, time for you to give it up.

No I got the point. It’s a stupid ■■■■■■■ article, that’s all. They are trying to make people believe that it’s not good to pay people more.

1 Like