Min Wage Hikes Hurting Business

if theres demand, the price (wage) will increase

simple known fact that the capitalism hating left ignores

You completely missed his point…

No if there is high demand AND low supply… then the price CAN increase.

The right doesn’t know the law of supply and demand

1 Like

jobs aren’t charity programs designed to make people’s lives easy

Does it hurt the consumer that a restaurant with better food, which can also pay its employees, replaced them?

but helping workers.

I wonder if this forum existed over 100 years ago would someone post “Child Labor Laws Hurting Business”.

Im guessing someone would.

5 Likes

Given my family owns two of them, im fairly confident i do know.

And i dont need a different perspective, im quite familiar with restaurant profit margins. There are plenty of ways to maintain profit margins regardless of increasing payroll.

2 Likes

Companies are not charities that need to be rescued from being mediocre and mismanaged.

i agree about the demand and supply

what does a mandated min wage have to do with that?

why dont you go back a little further and talk about slave labor

or attempt to be relevant with things nowadays

agreed, unless the rescue involves improving business conditions (ie, less regulation and killer trade imbalance) vs bailouts (GM)

Labor laws aren’t relevant now?

It raises the floor. Product still needs to be in demand to sell.

Why do you think Disneyland continues to raise prices every year ABOVE inflation? They are trying to control demand.

Can Universal Studios charge what Disney does? Both with a 15 dollar minimum wage? Nope! But that doesn’t mean Universal Studios is going out of business.

1 Like

This is a pretty interesting podcast on the effects of the minimum wage increases in Seattle: https://www.listennotes.com/sv/podcasts/econtalk/jacob-vigdor-on-the-seattle-UNf_-D0W18S/

The impact–both positive and negative–has been pretty moderate so far.

Low wage workers who already had jobs and experience did better under the increased minimum wages. Low wage workers who had little experience did about the same. Inexperienced workers (especially teenagers) who were entering the labor market with no skill and no experience found it harder to find work than before the minimum wage increases. Businesses in Seattle are now less likely to hire people with no experience (especially teens with little attachment to the labor force).

Seattle remains one of the fastest growing big cities in the country. Restaurants are opening like crazy, and the unemployment rate in the city of Seattle is currently 3.1%.

I’m not convinced that minimum wage increases are the most effective way to increase the quality of life for low wage workers. On the other hand, I am convinced that they are not a death sentence for the economy in a region with a healthy economy.

1 Like

no there arent

you appear to get more info about business from AOC claptrap vs your brother in law

“Ain’t nothing wrong with that. There’s nothing wrong with working retail, folding clothes for other people to buy. There is nothing wrong with preparing the food that your neighbors will eat. There is nothing wrong with driving the buses that take your family to work.”

Yes… and those people should be paid a wage that they can live on.

raising prices is not raising min wages. they respond to what the market can bear.

this is called “greed” on msnbc

As I linked earlier, appears they just served mediocre food. Try again,