President Trump said Iran “made a very big mistake” Thursday morning after the Islamic Republic shot-down an American drone operating in international airspace; telling reporters they will “soon find out” the administration’s response to the unprovoked attack.
Trump was speaking with reporters at the White House when he was asked if his administration planned to retaliate against Iran’s aggression.
“You’ll soon find out,” said the Commander-in-Chief.
“Iran made a very big mistake!” he posted on social media.
“Iranian reports that the aircraft was over Iran are false,” the U.S. Central Command said in a statement. “This was an unprovoked attack on a U.S. surveillance asset in international airspace.”
Iran made a very big mistake!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 20, 2019
A US Navy Drone was shot-down over the Strait of Hormuz early Thursday in what Pentagon officials are describing as an “unprovoked attack” by Iran.
“A U.S. Navy high-altitude drone was shot down Thursday by an Iranian surface-to-air missile over the Strait of Hormuz amid heightened tensions in the region after last week’s attacks on two oil tankers, according to military officials,” reports Fox News.
“U.S. Central Command said in a statement the that a U.S. Navy Broad Area Maritime Surveillance ISR aircraft, known as a BAMS-D, was shot down by an Iranian surface-to-air missile system while operating in international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz at approximately 7:35 p.m. ET on Wednesday,” adds Fox.
“Iranian reports that the aircraft was over Iran are false,” Capt. Bill Urban, a U.S. Central Command spokesman, said in a statement. “This was an unprovoked attack on a U.S. surveillance asset in international airspace.”
According to US officials, the pilot-less plane -approximately the same size as Boeing 737- was flying 17 miles from Iranian airspace when it was shot down by a single surface-to-air missile.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.