Mexico Agreed to Take Border Actions Months Before Trump Announced Tariff Deal

Via Google Translate:

The institution was created based on the security crisis that the country suffers since the beginning of the war against drug trafficking in 2006 , being initially proposed by President Andrés Manuel López Obrador and modified in the Congress of the Union , being approved by this definitively on February 28, 2019, being turned over to the state congresses, which approved it on March 13, 2019, being created on March 26 of the same year with the publication of the decree of constitutional reform in the Official Gazette of the Federation .

A translation won’t save you, all you did was make me read.

Next step, if Mexico still cannot handle their coyote human and drug trafficking problem, is for the US to offer troops to assist on the Mexican side of the border to help take out the cartels.

I would also suggest flying loads of illegal Guatemalan immigrants back to Guatemala with a few MS13s in chains and a few robust plastic bags. Drop them in a relatively isolated spot and unchain all bar the MS13s, giving their keys to the “innocent” Guatemalans, who can decide whether to release the MS13s or use the plastic bags before walking back to civilisation. Ditto for other South American illegals.

Pretty close. Missing the nuance.

That’s what I’m talkin about. He made the agreement retroactive. Trump is amazing.

Trump threatens tariffs.

Republicans signal displeasure by threatening action to prevent him from implementing them. His own staff had warned him against doing this because of the economic impact to the US. To win re-election, Trump cannot afford a recession or too much damage to the economy that’s already showing signs of running out of steam.

Trump looks for face-saving way out of implementing, hooks onto already agreed terms with Mexico, uses them as a way to avoid implementing tariffs.

This sounds utterly plausible.

Anyone that thinks it doesn’t can explain why not.

Bonus points if you can do it with data and not “you’re just bewitched by the NY Slimes”.

4 Likes

Trump takes off steel and aluminum tariffs. Same day he announces new tariffs is the same day the new Trade deal goes to Mexico for passage. Mexico has already agreed to new security plans. Pretty clear that this was a new shiny object Trump needed to distract from the contempt of Congress talk and a Europe visit that was turning into a disaster. Trump is still thinking these stupid parlor tricks still work. But his portfolio is wearing thin. And as he showed his name calling is wearing thin.

1 Like

I think someone in his administration just convinced Donny that this deal was all his idea and he ran with it.

I will sure believe the NYT before I will believe Donald J. Trump.

1 Like

Wrong, can you read Spanish?

I can

“La institución fue creada a base de la crisis de seguridad que sufre el país desde el inicio de la Guerra contra el narcotráfico en 2006, siendo propuesta inicialmente por el presidente Andrés Manuel López Obrador y modificada en el Congreso de la Unión, siendo aprobada por este de manera definitiva el 28 de febrero de 2019”

Essentially the institution was created in large part due to the security crisis it suffered from in 2006, when Mexico took an aggressive militaristic stance against the drug trade.

It was approved and created Feb 28, 2019…Obrador who proposed its formation was not president in 2006

This guy was…

1 Like

Are these economic advisors to Trump whose advice you think he should heed also the ones whose advice he has been following to make the US economy great again, or are they the one’s who have been the cause of its near demise before Trump undid their expert tweaking?

So it seems Democrats are upset that the Trump administration may have already negotiated these favorable terms before the threat of tariffs was made. Even if true, good for Trump for getting something done at all.
And any progress would be far more than anything Pelosi and the House have or would do to help solve the problem.

I notice that the Hill article indicates illegals aliens rights groups think these actions will be successful, since they are threatening to have the courts interfere.

1 Like

Then why make the threats?

1 Like

I don’t believe in anyone that’s involved with politics.

But I will tell you this…NYSlime just knows how to lie better, not to mention manipulate their people mush better.

Need proof? Just look how they played all those that believe Trump colluded with Russians.

Yeah, who cares if the president is lying and just trying to save face? The tariffs against Mexico would have been a political and economic disaster if he went through with it but let’s all rejoice that he’s not a complete lunatic.

You do notice that there is no big uproar when Trump acts like an adult? I wonder why.

Trump and associates had very questionable relationships with the Russians. Just because there was not enough evidence to prove a criminal conspiracy beyond a reasonable doubt doesn’t mean that there wasn’t any evidence. The reporting was largely accurate.

If he already had the agreement, he caused turmoil for nothing.

That’s what’s being talked about here.

1 Like

You don’t remember Mexico saying that? The talks may have been held in secret but I’m pretty sure the story made it into the news.

The point is to ignore the reporting and all the lies Trump told.

Not if Mexico was dragging its feet.