Media response to "Let's go Brandon!"

Maybe for a short time he identified as a child. Are you judging his choices of identity? That’s contrary to the new progressive normal.

1 Like

A government that lies to you once a year about tracking Santa lies to you all year trying to be Santa.

5 Likes

My thing isn’t the phrase, I just don’t think the dude should said it in that forum.

It’s about kids and Santa, but he sullied it with politics.

But whatevs, it’s the new abnormal.

1 Like

I appreciate and I share your opinion on that, but your comment that I responded to shows that it goes much deeper than that. Euphemisms for “dirty words” are ubiquitous in our colloquial language and “Let’s go Brandon” is no different or any worse than any of the rest of them. The only thing special about it, is how it came into being and who it refers to, and that seems to set it apart in the minds of those who are outraged by it. Some people have always used derogatory terms and/or words for the President (you should read some of the names people had for Lincoln) and most of those who said those sorts of things about Trump (many still do) are now the ones complaining about one of the more clever euphemisms we have seen simply because it’s their guy being insulted.

5 Likes

It takes too much explanation to be clever… it actually makes no sense at all. Which is why It doesn’t surprise me that trump supporters gravitated towards it

Well it wasn’t my comment, I think it was @toreyj01 's, but I take your point and appreciate the response.

I also agree. Euphemisms are a way to let of steam, but still keep it PG.

I lament that our political discourse has become more coarse and rude over the last several decades, and as has been pointed out, both sides are equally bad. I wish we could get to respectful opposition, but I might as well wish for a unicorn.

1 Like

That someone says it takes too much explanation for them to understand it does not necessarily mean it is not clever. There are alternative reasons why someone may say they find it hard to understand.

hey how ya doin?

are any Biden supporters simpletons?

There was no explanation necessary. The NBC reporter made it perfectly clear to anyone who heard her say it. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You are right, that originated with @toreyj01’s comment. Sorry.

It may seem that way, but if you study political discourse through the ages, what goes on today is mild compared to much of the past.

Anyone remember “Cheeto Jesus”?

3 Likes

I hated that one most of all.

Fat Donald was probably more to your liking, huh. :wink:

1 Like

No worries.

It hasn’t been this bad in my lifetime, but I also think you need to factor in social media, which us new, and just a seething cauldron of menace, hatred, and scorn.

And these new forums have elevated the ability of individuals and communities far above the regional and city papers of yesteryear. It is for this reason that I think that it’s as bad, if not worse, than it’s ever been.

No. I actually did NOT engage in the name calling, and would call it out when able.

I gave it up Back during W. Bush times. And even then, I would only call him Shrub.

In your own simpleton way, you probably thought that was clever, didn’t ya. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But once again, you are wrong. I said your generality was simplistic. I didn’t say anything about agreeing with it or not.

1 Like

I :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: this post.

Ah, New England. That bastion of MAGA!

4 Likes

It’s all about merchandising and making profit. It makes it easier to identify them and laugh at. They don’t know how silly they look.