Maybe we should hit China where it would really hurt em

Cheap labor pales in comparison to automation. For now, we can just focus on making the labor market more skilled. Eventually we’ll have to deal with the fact that not everyone needs to work unless we find an endless supply of unnecessary jobs.

2 Likes

This seems like one area that there is some bipartisanship agreement on at least from the voters on both sides.

Trade imbalances have been argued both on the negative impacts as well as the not-so negative impacts by many economists for decades now while it seems to be a 50/50 split on the impact. Even if one believes the trade deficit isn’t as big of a problem as others I don’t see the net benefits of intellectual property theft, currency manipulation and a communist regime owning 1.2 trillion in U.S. debt.

Automation is going to be a huge problem that I agree with being in the I.T. field myself, but it goes deeper than that. Why train skilled laborers in I.T. when pretty much all of the fortune 100 companies hires close to 80% of their employees on either H-1B visa’s or they are working from India doing the same job as me at a fraction of the cost that I attended college for to obtain an ABET accredited computer engineering degree?

I am not exaggerating when I tell you the floor I work on has close to 100 software developers of which 3 including myself are American, the rest from India on H1-B and L1 visas - three times that amount are working for our company based in Mumbai and New Delhi. We only do interviews to keep a good face, it’s common to hear a manager tell the “Syntel” manager and outsourcing company which has a desk on our floor to bring in 10-15 engineers at a time for a project. They don’t even bother to interview local talent, and why should they work for 40k a year with no benefits.

1 Like

Do you have a source for that?

As to China owning our foreign debt, it’s the result of a trade deficit with them. We buy their stuff, we give them dollars, those dollars are used to purchase U.S. government bonds.

Who cares about any of that though as long as global corporations can continue making record profits? That’s whose interests our government is really serving after all.

I mean China has sold us products coated with lead based paint and chicken fed with raw sewage, but hey, it’s cheap so who cares?

3 Likes

Gee, OP, I think there might be a term for this.

Good grief…if I say what this OP is and call out the thread starter I more than likely get flagged and/or put on TO.

SMDH…we are in a sunken place as a country as we continue to slip into darkness. I mean seriously, who the hell thinks like this?

2 Likes

We should have adults sit down and negotiate.

1 Like

Instead of banning an ethnic race (ew) here’s a crazy idea. Don’t back a president who doesn’t have the intelligence or the desire to learn more. Trump’s lack of understanding economic basics is a yuge hindrance to this process.

That would be a hard hit…however the screams from the Universities would be maddening.

I suspect that the Chinese have already acquired as much intel as they will ever need.

:male_detective:t3:

are you talking Chinese citizens or Chinese ancestry?

asians already a quota at some schools.

Allan

Might as well ban Mexicans too since they aren’t paying for the wall.

The United States is filled with sales and business people. It’s a damn shame that we don’t have at least one that can outsmart the Chinese in a long term negotiation.

Noticing a trend?

Ban middle easterners.
Ban Mexicans.
Ban Chinese.

Welp, that would mean we need an adult in the White House.

Maybe on Jan 20, 2021, an adult will occupy the White House and start righting the ship.

1 Like

absolutely!
Folks on here can play stupid all they want and continue to follow Lee Atwater’s blueprint and keeping things in the abstract. All apart of the MAGA game plan.

WE SEE YOU!

Universities make their own admissions policy. The OP wants the Feds to intervene in the private sector. Another example of government should stay out of our lives unless it benefits our addenda.

Republicans always manage to come up with the worse ideas possible…

This is the same level of deep thinking our Commander in Chief has. Stew on that.

2 Likes