Maybe the political stars will be aligned sufficient for a Federal Judgeship Bill

Amazing, isn’t it.

1 Like

I missed this earlier, just noticed it now that this thread was bumped.

No, I am NOT opposing Trump’s appointments, not in any way.

I am making the point that Trump’s appointments and zeal in making those appointments is NOT for the high and noble purpose of insuring prompt justice, but ensuring the maximum number of judges with his desired philosophy.

Of course, Obama and any Democrat nominated and ultimately elected President is proceeding from the same selfish motive.

I hold a dual motive. Yes I want to see Judges of a certain philosophy. But I also want Judges for the more noble reason of ensuring prompt access to justice for all Americans.

Yes, it is a crisis now.

But Trump could not fill those new Judgeships in the current Presidential term, even if he had them. There will be at least 96 vacancies to deal with, more than Trump could fill in the remainder of the current Presidential term.

So delaying those new Judgeships to January 20, 2021 really makes no difference, as they could not be filled before 2021 anyhow and it fulfills a higher and more noble purpose of letting the American people decide who they want to fill those judgeships.

And again, remember, there are still at least 96 Judgeships that Trump will have the chance to fill during 2020, even if no new Judgeships are created.

He currently has appointed 187 Judges. If he can appoint 76 during 2020, tough but not implausible, he would break Jimmy Carter’s all time record for judicial appointments during a single Presidential term. Even if he falls short and ends with 240 or 250, that is a damn impressive total.

Bottom line, he is going to do damn ******* well even with Judgeships held to 2021.

1 Like

You are making the assumption.