Massive Protests in China

Well heres something you just don’t see in China- massive protests with people openly denouncing the leader Xi Jinping. This is mainly due to the intensity of the covid lockdown which at times has led to people shut in to their apartments for up to two months. But the anger is due also to Xi’s increasingly dictatorial control over China. Wonder where this is gonna go…

2 Likes

苛政猛於虎 Kēzhèng měng yú hǔ

According to the analects of Confucius

Once Confucius was walking in the mountains and he came across a woman weeping by a grave. He asked the woman what her sorrow was, and she replied, “We are a family of hunters. My husband was bitten by a tiger and died. And now my only son!”

“Why don’t you move down and live in the valley? Why do you continue to live up here?” asked Confucius. And the woman replied, “But sir, there are no tax collectors here.”

Confucius added to his disciples, “You see, a bad government is more to be feared than tigers.”

6 Likes

I pray for those protestors because protesting in China is not like protesting in America and there is a good chance of a massacre. :pray:

3 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/deadly-blaze-in-china-fuels-defiance-against-xi-s-covid-policies/ar-AA14BD70?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ff16f8db426f475caba3479a9c52588a

It is difficult to make predictions about something that happens seldom/never,
but these protests recently developed a few interesting signs that might mean they lead to something significant.

EG People in shanghai protesting something in Urumqi.
Granted, Shanghai has a Uyghur population not unlike the Puerto Rican population of NYC, but still, these protests have characteristics that are not seen often and might be meaningful

You can expect Xi to try to crush this. He makes his disdain for any foreign leader that doesn’t kowtow to him obvious. What do you think his reaction to a bunch of lowly counterrevolutionary serfs will be?

4 Likes

The ChiComs will and can grease hundreds of thousands of their own civilians crushing protests and no one would ever miss them except the families of the slain.
It will simply make more room for more good little ChiComs to be indoctrinated.

1 Like

Can’t really tell.
Chinese society, up to and including their police and military, has ways of feigning incompetence. That’s why the first military unit dispatched to Tiananmen could not make it though the streets of Beijing

Days later 4 units were sent. They could not make it there either.

The Tiananmen demonstrations were eventually ended when 30 or so units were assembled and sent in “simultaneously.”

It is plausible that the police and military will “fail” to break up demonstrations and the demonstrations could have very far reaching impacts for Chinese national leadership.

Can’t help feeling we’ll just be talking about something else by the end of the week.

3 Likes

I would look at Hong Kong, rather than Tiananmen as how this probably goes down.

3 Likes

Considering that many people live in coffin apartments, I don’t blame them.

Surprised that any video is getting out.

That will stop first.

Then the loudmouths will get smacked down.

The bad news is that cellphone tracking, facial recognition, video surveillance, etc. mean that the China will be able to track down the protestors for retribution.

The good news is that the wait time for a suitable organ donor will go way down.

I hope I am wrong.

2 Likes

people are finally getting fed up with the lies and the bs

maybe this will encourage more pushback on authoritarianism. here and abroad

Facebook?

It is an old saying and the story really does occur in the analects (at least that’s what I heard when I lived over there.)

…and “I have a dream.” :sunglasses: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Lockdowns are for the benefit of the people, sounds like a bunch of anti-science, anti-vax right wingers.

2 Likes

I just finished re-reading The Analects. Didn’t see it. But I could have missed it

Not sure a free China benefits us in any way. Where we gonna get our cheap ■■■■ ?

1 Like