Maria Butina to plead guilty and help prosecutors

It’s a phone.

Well that is what we call patriotism right there.

1 Like

Denied visas twice but approved after the NRA sponsored the third one.

2 Likes

The NRA is doing to itself what they feared some high school students would do to them.

There is no shooting their way out of this one.

2 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/02/23/fact-checking-trump-nra-claims-on-gun-background-checks/?utm_term=.8dee203217a9

Wayne LaPierre

“The National Rifle Association originated the National Instant Check System. It was our bill.” (remarks at the Conservative Political Action Conference, Feb. 22)

Speaking at CPAC, LaPierre said there would be no NICS without the NRA.

The NRA had opposed the Brady gun bill but in the end was one of the shaping forces behind it, offering several amendments. Instead of an initial proposal to impose a five-day waiting period to buy a gun, the NRA agreed to compromise language that ultimately created the NICS.

After the Brady gun bill was enacted, the NRA joined a case, Printz v. United States , as an amicus and argued that the entire law, including the NICS provision, should be struck down for violating the 10th Amendment. The law allegedly “commandeered” the states to perform background checks for the federal government from 1994 to 1998, the period in which the NICS had not yet launched.

Once the NICS was up and running, the NRA sued, arguing that the law effectively set up a “gun registry.” A federal appeals court dismissed the lawsuit. Federal law separately provides for disposing of NICS records after a background check.

A spokesman for the NRA did not respond to a question about this issue, but it seems like a stretch to say that the NICS “was our bill,” as LaPierre said, considering that it came about as compromise language to avoid a five-day waiting period for gun purchases and that the NRA took a hostile position to the Brady law in the courts — and at one point worked to strike it down as unconstitutional.

“They [the media] don’t report that 38 states submit less than 80 percent of their felony convictions to the system, leaving more than 7 million felony convictions in the dark.” (remarks at CPAC, Feb. 22)

This statistic neatly illustrates the deficiencies in the NICS system — or it would, except it’s several years out of date. We asked the NRA where LaPierre got these figures, and a spokesman pointed us to a 2013 report from the National Consortium for Justice Information and Statistics.

“Felony convictions are the largest category of firearm transfer denials. Yet, as of December 31, 2010, a survey of the states … found that only seven states and Guam reported that 90 percent or more felony charges have a final disposition recorded in their criminal history databases,” that report says. “An additional five states had between 80 percent and 90 percent dispositions for felony charges.”

Notice how LaPierre is referencing a study about the year 2010. The same group has published more recent statistics for the intervening years through 2016.

“Twenty-one states report that 80 percent or more of all felony arrests within the criminal history database have final dispositions recorded,” according to the latest report.

So it’s down from 38 to 29 states at last count.

As for the 7 million number for felonies that have not been reported to the NICS, the NRA said it came from the same report from the National Consortium for Justice Information and Statistics. Since it’s an estimate based on 2010 figures, it’s outdated, as well. For what it’s worth, Congress pegged the number much higher, at 21 million, in 2008. [Update: We previously said that we didn’t know where the 7 million figure came from, but the NRA sent us a report with this number. That report is based on 2010 figures, and the group that published it said the 7 million estimate is no longer up to date.]

The NICS clearly suffers from incomplete records. Most background checks on the NICS are conducted by the states, not federal agencies, but a 2016 audit by the Justice Department’s inspector general found that in 630 of 631 selected cases from 2008 to 2014, states did not properly update the database or inform the FBI of the background check’s outcome. “These failures mean the NICS database is incomplete, and increases the risk that individuals found by states to be prohibited purchasers could be able to purchase firearms in the future,” according to the audit.

And then sued to have it struck down.

And this is pretty much my final post on the subject. I rarely get involved in gun or abortion threads, partly because I recognize my own biases on the subjects, and partly because I just can’t live on Hannity all day, and these threads go on seemingly without end.

Now hopefully this can get back to Butina.

That was perfect.

She just entered her guilty plea for “conspiracy to act as an illegal foreign agent in the United States.”

We have her and two other named co-conspirators.

Are there more?

I guess folks can go back to using this thread as a forum to talk about how great guns and the NRA are.

If someone wants to talk about Butina and the conspiracy, maybe they should create a thread for it.

Thoughts and prayers to the NRA.

6 Likes

Huge deal. It shows yet another way that Russianis trying to corrupt our elections and why we should never ever cozy up to them.

Anyone she hung out are crapping their pants now.

2 Likes

It’s amazing this isn’t being treated as a bigger deal. We have an admitted Russian Spy who wooed both the NRA and the Republican party, and basically admitted to coordination. This is bat**** insane.

And it still isn’t FRIDAY.

5 Likes

It’s mindboggling to think that the most “patriotic” organization in the US was willingly infiltrated by a hostile foreign government. It’s bordering on being treasonous.

Great explanation below.

4 Likes

People are actively avoiding how very ugly this is.

Limbaugh is burning up his time complaining about his Apple watch charging problems.

Ha. Ha.

I always have to ask “are you ■■■■■■■ serious?” :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Everything leads to fat donald.

Un ■■■■■■■ believable.

The first time fat donald was ever asked about lifting Russia sanctions.

3 Likes

Do we know for sure who U.S. Person 1 is yet? Erickson?

How about “another person”? That one really has me wondering.

No assumption so far, as to who the “another person” is. :worried:

Well, ■■■■■

I’m developing a serious binge and purge eating disorder from all of these nothingburgers.

Not that I’m trying to purge, it’s just impossible to keep it all down.

2 Likes