Man killed by Portland State police was Navy vet trying to break up fight, friends say

Why? The two have nothing at all in common. The 2nd does not give anyone a right to commit a crime with a gun.

It is not possible to have an honest discussion about one without the other. You yourself have used DGU for example.

You can’t have the good if you ignore the bad.

DGU’s are not a crime. They are just a practical extension of the inherent right to self defense protected by the 2nd Amendment.

They are a response to crime.

Exactly… .

Glad we could agree.

A lot of things went wrong here resulting in what appears to be an innocent man being shot/killed by officers. It sounds like he was a very good man and his family will be in much pain. I truly feel for them.

I wonder if the officers were wearing cameras and if that footage will be released?

We don’t. Lumping them together is an insult to the 2nd Amendment and it’s supporters.

If they were it will have to be released at some point if either is charged.

I can’t even tell from the posted footage if it was the guy in black who was shot or someone else. He’s the only one I see picking anything up.

A reasonable person in a situation like that who sees a gun hit the ground is going to naturally want to secure it if for no other reason than to ensure neither of the brawlers grabs it and uses it on the other.

At a minimum this looks like a horrible lapse in judgement on the part of the cop that fired.

Ok, then don’t use crime to justify carrying. We’ll have to get rid of the Heller decision as well.

Or you could look at it as an opportunity to educate.

I don’t need a justification to carry.

Crime is not a 2nd Amendment issue in any way, there is no right to commit a crime much less one protected by the 2nd.

Yet you have used it time and time again.

No I haven’t. What I have stated is that self defense is a good reason to carry.

My right to keep and bear is not dependent on that possibility.