Making Federal Buildings Beautiful Again

That’s very nice. I personally prefer simple, clean design.

If you are interested in residential/home design I highly recommend The Timeless Way of Building and A Pattern Language both by Christopher Alexander.

His books are written in an easy to skim and still fully digest way.

He is a somewhat controversial architect, more philosopher really. If you like simple, well considered home design you’re sure to enjoy his work.

I never took you for a big government type :wink:

:rofl::rofl: I never took you for Art Vandelay.

Government shouldn’t design government buildings.

So, you agree with the AIA. Good for you.

Sarcasm Bob.

I know, back at ya :joy:

I am actually going to be dealing with another project shortly. I had an uncle die recently. His residence is a 205 year old brick house. The house was actually gutted and rebuilt internally in the 1950’s, but has deteriorated again over the last couple of decades, particularly the last ten years as he was in physical and mental decline. I am trustee over the estate.

It won’t need to be gutted to the brick walls as happened in the 1950’s, but several rooms will need to be stripped down and it will need a complete plumbing and wiring overhaul. Also going to create a second full bathroom up stairs. And fully replace the septic system.

Going to take half of what is currently a sewing room and convert it to a bath and convert the other half to a large storage room. Not exactly sure what I am going to do with the kitchen, which could be currently described as Late American Colonial in design.

Most of the downstairs other than the kitchen is in the Federal Period style, both rooms and furniture. His kids actually took very little, just personal items and knick knacks. The furniture and decor, down to the books on the bookshelf, are virtually untouched and much of it is in the Federal Period or American Classical Period style.

So I will likely be rebuilding any stripped rooms back to their previous appearance and keeping the furniture and decor pretty much as is. Only major change will be a second upstairs bathroom.

Anybody that has the roughly $350,000 to blow on this house and property are probably looking for an upscale interior anyhow, not American casual. :smile:

Well there goes the Ayn Rand parallel. Howard Roark the President is not.

1 Like

That sounds like a great project. I hope it goes well for you.

Getting underway with the first phase, which is photographing the interior and removing the furnishings to storage. Should be starting demolition by Tuesday.

Hopefully I will have some idea of what the kitchen is going to look like by the time I get to that point. Only thing I know for sure at this point is that I will be going with a federal period design. But that is a large tall room and federal period can be tricky to pull off.

Is that of the Albert Speer school of architecture? :wink:

There is the more bland variety of federal building, such as the 1966 vintage Charles E. Bennett Federal Building in Jacksonville, Florida. Pretty much run of the mill for the time period it was built. Nothing to write home about, but it has the sole advantage of not being an atrocity like the San Francisco federal building. :smile:

Actually, Speer’s style was a government dictated simplified neoclassical. Why would anyone want that, or any other government dictated style, for our country?

An interesting article in support of Trump’s Executive Order.

Raises some interesting points.

Interesting, yes but way off base.

The style (design) of most modern building is driven by cost of construction. Simple curtain walls and flat roofs are simply cheaper to build.

Classicism is a crutch, slapping on Corinthian columns does not equal good design.

The Tweed Court House in NYC is an example of truly bad classical design.

aaman_tweed1

While the UN Building is an astounding modern “government” building.

If you appreciate architecture and history this story and house is of interest.

A very interesting property.

We have one here in Mount Airy, sale currently pending. The James A. Hadley House, built in 1894 and considered perhaps the finest example of Queen Victorian Style in North Carolina.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/400-W-Pine-St-Mount-Airy-NC-27030/93094525_zpid/

Very boldly styled, including a very effective usage of purple in an interior. :smile:

Here are three photos from the listing. 50 total photos at the listing if you want to really look at this gorgeous house.

1 Like