MA looking to tax NH residents working remotely. Looks like it will go to the SCOTUS

My company pays me like all my work is done in NH.

I then have to set aside money in case MA comes calling.

Where it gets intetesting is if I’m just doing a pre-model survey. I might only spend 15 minutes on a job site, 3 hours driving, and 2 hours doing reporting from the office in my house.

My company doesn’t consider the driving to be work. Those are costs, and I receive non-taxable reimbursements.

NH doesn’t care at all, because it got me for tolls and gasoline, and maybe rooms and meals if I buy something that’s been heated or prepared.

MA is pretty sure I worked in MA for 3 hr 15 min, but they’ve never had a way to get anything but the 15 minutes.

I assume you meant to say “no state taxes” correct? NH does have high property taxes, right? What are the other local taxes you are referring to?

I used to work for a company based in FL with an office in SC, didn’t matter, the work was performed in NC and NC taxes were applied. When I worked in CT for CT company and we had to travel to MA to do a job, I was taxed MA taxes. Where the work is performed has always been the deciding factor, not where the office is.

No state property taxes.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/22o154.html

The case is finally showing up on the Supreme Court’s computer system. It was filed on October 19th and docketed on October 23rd. Massachusetts reply brief will be due on November 23rd.