Lying, human nature and personal experience

@Jamerican is not the only one who works in an environment where intense and full polygraphs are required. He knows no more about them than I do. You can treat both of our posts as opinions.

False. Anxiety is a factor. The polygrapher attempts to create a baseline though- with the anxiety present- and views the results above the baseline. But that 1) requires skill by the polygrapher, and 2) adds noise to the system.

Don’t go beyond your knowledge, dude.

Taken a lot of polygraphs, have you? I am certain I know more about this than you.

You can express your opinion all you want. That’s all it is. No one is stopping you.

Then you know that saying much more is a violation of the agreement that was signed.

Lol. I’ll chalk it up to you going way past your knowledge base then. I’m quite comfortable in my experience and training. I’m guessing you know very little about this topic, but you desperately want us to think you do.

First of all I noted that studies have shown 90% accuracy, although there are other studies that have shown around 70% accuracy. And the other the other thing I said is that opponents of this test (would you acknowledge that there are opponents) view it as flipping a coin. I never purported to be an expert. Isn’t it possible for a good and crafty examiner to compel someone to fail the test?

There is a range of accuracy, sure, based on test format, examiner experience, etc. A “crafty” examiner would be someone who’s unethical.

Here is a brief quote of what I’ve been looking at:

"But while often accurate , polygraphs are not foolproof, experts say. “Proponents will say the test is about 90 percent accurate . Critics will say it’s about 70 percent accurate ,” said Frank Horvath of the American Polygraph Association. … “There is no test that can detect lies. …Jul 14, 2018”

Then I will chalk up your experience to law enforcement investigations. Not all polygraphers are of the same caliber.

I never said they were foolproof. And it’s a misnomer to call them “lie detectors.” But the American Polygraph Association is a good resource.

Here is another brief quote:

“The accuracy (i.e., validity) of polygraph testing has long been controversial. An underlying problem is theoretical: There is no evidence that any pattern of physiological reactions is unique to deception. An honest person may be nervous when answering truthfully and a dishonest person may be non-anxious.”

Are you saying this would be a false statement?

You know absolutely nothing of my experience.

Everyone seems to be in agreement that it is not “lie detector” test.

The quote says that the underlying problem is based on theory.

That would be obviuos. I was referring more to this statement:

There is no evidence that any pattern of physiological reactions is unique to deception. An honest person may be nervous when answering truthfully and a dishonest person may be non-anxious.”

And a clinical psychologist would know the techniques to beat a polygraph as well.

Well, she doesn’t know what time of year it happened either.

Here’s a good non-scientific article on lie detectors:

The American Polygraph association claims above 80% accuracy.