Lumber prices tumble 60% (sign of rapid housing deflation to come)

No on the wet sanding.

Post away. Those photos are nice.

thanks.

I’m not allowed to make new threads. If someone made a woodworking thread in ‘outside the beltway’, I’d post some there…

I’ll throw one up…

Add metal working too

https://community.hannity.com/t/for-the-woodworkers-here-tips-discussion-etc/

Jump in with metal works!

1 Like

Lumber prices are still low
but they have jumped 20-25% since bottoming in mid June.

Stop procrastinating, build a deck . . . and while you
are out there, take down the dang Christmas lights already

1 Like

Combined with rising interest rates, I’m seeing the values of homes finally have peaked and are now coming down slightly.

1 Like

Lumber is a serious commodity, not some sexy dot.com stock.
When the price of a serious commodity rises 20% in 2-3 weeks it is worth noting.

People in the Northeast may be burning lumber this winter to stay warm, given the price of home heating oil.

Thank you Brandon, indeed.

1 Like

I don’t see lumber going down to 325/375 per thousand ever again unless we are in serious recession. Have to take inflation into account.

1 Like

I think that burning the furniture may be cheaper. :wink:

When this thread was active last summer, lumber prices were in that little green circle.
Now lumber prices are in that little red circle.

Here is a longer-term chart of lumber prices
Lumber prices today are the same as they were in 2001.
NOT the same adjusted-for-inflation, the real life actual same price.

Cool. I may yet be able to build my boat.

2 Likes

The is a good chance that when lumber prices are down,
the price of timberland, (or any wooded land) is also down.

Of special interest to me for bulkheads, framing and decking is a technique of using reinforcing wire mesh in between outer layers of plywood to form more rigid and puncture resistant thin panels. Dubbed Gilwood by its inventor in the 1950s he initially sought to create panels for grain storage that would resist gnawing critters but found he had something that, in addition to the above, also had more consistent mechanical properties.

In any structure the web of a bulkhead, framing, decking or structural column staying in plane is necessary to retain strength; but, puncture resistance of relatively lighter (and less expensive) thin panels is a big problem for anything I might try to build. The normal approach would be to use the heavier thicker panel materials.

There is a similar way to laminate fiberglass under tension that may be useful for the hulls of so-called “instant boats” (not sure about using wire mesh in those panels).

1 Like

Lowes has 23/32 tongue and groove OSB at $22 per sheet. That’s only 5 bucks more than when I replaced my roof in early 2021.

Might be time to renovate the barn.

1 Like

Not counting inflation it’s still 200 dollars per thousand board ft more than 2009…where it hit rock bottom.

Also this is for softwoods. Hardwoods and even fir has different economic pricing. Hardwoods wasn’t effected so much during that insane lumber pricing…fir somewhat. Most of straight grain fir goes to Asian markets.

Standing hardwoods will maintain it’s value.

1 Like

1 Like

Hmm I wonder why this one is so different.
Inclusion of hardwoods maybe?