Location of measles outbreaks in US was predicted a year ago

Well, I’m being a bit tongue in cheek. I doubt we’d be willing to, as a society, do what would be required to make anti-vaxxers total social pariahs.

1 Like

Yes they do as has already been carefully explained in detail.

There are risks with vaccination, there are risks with not vaccinating. The kids are not property of the state and the most fundamental rights parents have is to decide what is best for their kids.

The courts have held up religious and conscientious objections to vaccination on constitutional grounds time and again so it’s really “settled law” or as settled as it can be.

And in none of those outbreaks was it shown someone who voluntarily opted out responsible for same, nor is there evidence to show the outbreak spread from those voluntary opt outs.

Yes, the chances are higher of you contracting the disease when exposed without vaccination, nobody is arguing against that.

I really wish we had access to the old Ebola thread.

here is where you might want to rethink that there is no direct connection from these kids to the outbreak.
The only herd immunity that is 100 % effective is if the entire herd is immune. These kids that did not get vaccinated are not immune from the disease simply because they are part of a larger group that was. Therefore, they are still susceptible to the disease.

In a high school of 1,000 students, none has ever had measles. All but 5 of the students have had two doses of measles vaccine, and so are fully immunized. The entire student body is exposed to measles, and every susceptible student becomes infected. The 5 unvaccinated students will be infected, of course. But of the 995 who have been vaccinated, we would expect several not to respond to the vaccine. The efficacy rate for two doses of measles vaccine can be higher than 99%. In this class, 7 students do not respond, and they, too, become infected. Therefore 7 of 12, or about 58%, of the cases occur in students who have been fully vaccinated.
As you can see, this doesn’t prove the vaccine didn’t work – only that most of the children in the class had been vaccinated, so those who were vaccinated and did not respond outnumbered those who had not been vaccinated. Looking at it another way, 100% of the children who had not been vaccinated got measles, compared with less than 1% of those who had been vaccinated. Measles vaccine protected most of the class; if nobody in the class had been vaccinated, there would probably have been 1,000 cases of measles.”

In this respect those who are unvaccinated run the risk of bringing the infectious disease to the entire population (herd) and infecting those who may not have had an immune response to the vaccination. Not all vaccinations are 100%. But if you add unvaccinated or un protected individuals to this mix of individuals…there most certainly is a connection. The un-protected and un-vaccinated individuals bring the disease to the heard where those who did not have the full effect of the vaccine were protected by the rest of the herd who did have the full effect. Now that the un- protected were added to the herd. The herd members with ineffective vaccines are now at higher risk.

So you take your infected kids to a school, mall, airport or public place where a pregnant Mom is and infect her.

She then spontaneously aborts.

Congratulations on your lifestyle choice.

1 Like

No their parents made that choice. The person who did not get the vaccination made no choice at all.

Isn’t it hypocritical? If a woman ends her pregnancy, she and the doctors are murderers.

I wonder if it’s possible to pull up any Planned Parenthood threads & see how these providers are referred to as providing nothing but abortion.

But potentially exposing a child to disease that can maim, cripple or even kill is parents exercising their rights to raise their children as they see fit.

Maybe some cons’ new image can be of a very sick child on a poster with the slogan “I support a mother’s freedom to choose.”

Spread where? You don’t think a voluntary opt out did not spread the outbreak to another voluntary opt out?

Do you think it’s possible to definitively show that? Beyond that, of what value is vaccination? Significant or insignificant? Is it all the same either way? Can we just dispense with vaccination altogether and expect no, or a negligible difference re: the transmission and spread of these diseases if no one is vaccinated, or if the unvaccinated population continues to grow?

No, you don’t get 100% herd immunity with a 100% vaccination rate. Some will only gain partial immunity, in some they will gain no immunity at all.

There will also be variants against which the vaccines used only give partial or no immunity to which turns the affected into carriers.

No vaccine is 100% effective.

I’m 100% pro vaccination, I’m also 100% pro parental and constitutional rights.

What you’re citing there is not an actual case, it’s a thought exercise given to be used as an example.

so i guess if you have medical issue and can’t get vaccinated your just ■■■■■■■

Whatever you’d like to think. Its how it works…i know I will never convince you otherwise. I know what I know. You believe what you believe.

Where exactly is the hypocrisy? In one case you are intentionally killing another human being, whereas in the other the parents are deciding for themselves if the risks outweigh the benefits?

You expose your children to danger every time you load them in the car or take them for a walk in the park or give them a bike/trike to ride. Shall we take those choices away from parents as well and have the gov’t dictate the conditions under which you may be allowed to expose them to such dangers, when and to what level?

why do measles outbreak only happen in areas with low vaccinated numbers?

this isn’t rocket science.

1 Like

by not vaccinating your child you are putting other children who can’t be vaccinated due to medical reason at risk of dying.

No, you’re cutting and pasting from the internet, you have no idea how it actually works.

In the pre vaccine era we’d all get exposed to such things as measles and not all of us would contract it. Some have better natural immunity than others.

A great example would be what happened to the populations of natives in the New World when Europeans introduced Smallpox to the Americas. The natives had little or no natural immunity and whole communities/cities, and even cultures went extinct as a result while many of The European carriers got sick and got over it or didn’t get sick at all but still carried it.

They happen when someone carrying shows up in a given area. It doesn’t magically appear out of nowhere.

Those kids are already at risk of dying.