Libs magic number is

Try getting an abortion in South Dakota. Or Kansas. Or Mississippi. Or… Lol.

Both sides do it.

It takes wide open eyes to see that.

Allan

This is a bad idea. Better to fix the problem of one side refusing to vote on nominees.

2 Likes

I agree. I have been saying since the campaign that trying to pack the courts was a bad idea. It will never pass the Senate. Manchin is against and I don’t know any Republicans who are for it. Things like this are why Democrats never hold power for very long. Whenever they win elections they believe the American people want EVRTHING they want. They keep pushing things like this, 2022 won’t just be a loss, it will be blood bath.

3 Likes

Perfectly legal doesn’t mean Americans will put up with it.

3 Likes

Must have been a real in depth study, what they spend on it? Two weeks?

3 Likes

Which Americans?

This isn’t a Democratic thing…it’s a Republican thing too.

When one party gets control of all branches, they try to strike while the iron is hot…knowing that the recent pattern is they will hold all the branches for two years at best.

2 Likes

414 In South Dakota 2019.

1 Like

Not technically illegal

Question:

Why do women in Pennsylvania come to jersey to get abortions.

Answer:

Pennsylvania abortion laws are more restricted.

Same thing with gun sales only in reverse.

Allan

Congress has the authority to set the number of justices that sit at all branches of the court system.

It’s in the Constitution.

So no rules have been changed.

Politically? Yeah it’s a bad idea.

But that’s different than the rules being changed.

If you’re talking about Senate rules? Again, Congress has the power to set its own rules.

And changing them is neither a Lib thing nor a Con thing.

Both do it to suit their political whims…and when one side has all the power, they strike while the iron is hot.

Neither Lib nor conservative has any moral standing to complain about the erosion of conventions and norms within government.

Since politics is now a tribal blood sport, when the tribe feels like their leaders have acted so their tribe wins, they say “Yay team!”

Nobody stands on principle anymore.

In fact those that stand on principle usually lose.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure McConnell changed the rules when President Obama nominated Merrick Garland. After that filthy move, all’s fair.

And I’m surprised he didn’t say the same thing to Thomas.

Sorry that wasn’t a rule change, there has never been any such rule that a hearing must be held or the appointee confirmed.

2 Likes

You can’t buy guns across state lines.

I did not say that. I thought my last line clearly indicated, they both did/do it.

As

@AriBerman

recently observed, “The real court packing was when Mitch McConnell blocked Merrick Garland 8 months before election but confirmed Amy Coney Barrett 8 days before election when 65 million had already voted” https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/1380898087414157316

Redefining the term. Do it already. See what happens.

2 Likes

Same effect, though.

Obviously, they aren’t going to do it.