Largest Monthly may Deficit Since 2009..$1trillion deficits on the way

Are you trying to infer that the Democrats today, or in the past, have ever made it a part of their policies to lower federal spending, and reduce the size and expense of the federal government?

The dems cannot spend enough. If anyone were to even propose legislation for cutting any federal spending program, and hear their unified outrage shake the walls in Washington DC

I’d say that they had policies that reduced the deficit.

Which is the topic of this thread.

The Democrats will at least make an attempt to have us pay for the civilization that we enjoy.

The Republicans are the ones who act like the whole thing is free.

1 Like

No, I was quite clear. Reducing spending is a Republican agenda. You’re carping about Democrats not enacting a Republican agenda.

Maybe Republicans should do that? Just thinking out loud here.

5 Likes

Democrats certainly have compromised with Republicans in order to reduce federal spending, and reduce the size and expense of the federal government. Democrats have largely shown that they are willing to compromise on certain issues in order to obtain concessions on other issues.

Republicans though. They seem unable to compromise with themselves in order to further their agenda. Sure, they were willing to pass tax cuts, but that only serves to balloon the deficit if corresponding cuts are found elsewhere. They seem unwilling to do that, probably because it’s unpopular. At least Democrats are willing to fund the government, Republicans just want to put it on the credit card and complain.

2 Likes

*aren’t
10chr

And yet, Clinton left with a surplus and Obama presided over one of the largest deficit reductions in history, and even slowed government spending as a % of GDP

1 Like

The Republicans are banking on the GDP going up significantly. We will have to wait for the end of July to see what the results are. But I still think that 3%-4% GDP is still a pipe dream. And without it going to at least 3% the $1.5T tax cut bill becomes a huge talking point.

1 Like

What’s the likely GDP growth during a global trade war?

And when I mean global… it is the US vs the Globe.

I’m partially of a mind we need a Democrat President and at least a divided congress. Maybe full Democrat control won’t be a negative, but we’ve seen how problematic full Republican control can be. Clinton and Obama have shown they will largely sign compromise legislation when Republicans and Democrats work together toward a common goal.

Historically GDP gain or loss follows way behind the gain or loss of trade. But it still tracks as a percentage of what the trade totals are. So if we get into a full blown trade war I would expect GDP to suffer but at a much slower pace.

Making deficits increase even more.

Yay… I guess?

At least Clinton and Obama had the good sense not to call the opposition every name in the book when they needed their help. I am amazed at how Trump still thinks he can bully the Democrats and call them names and expect that they are going to show up and kiss his ring.

That’s what we get for electing a businessman who has no experience in politics. He doesn’t know how to act any other way, and he isn’t used to listening to other people. His instincts have worked out pretty well for his thus far.

Tea Partiers buying that Melania jacket by the thousands at this point.

I wish i could buy that jacket. But alas, they’ve sold out.

At that point it becomes the Democrats fault. Just it’s the Democrats fault Stephen Miller decided to start separating children from their families and Democrats will be responsible when North Korea never denuclearizes

Everyone who feels guilty about their tax cut should ease their conscience and send the money to the feds. I’m guessing that the guilt does not run that deep.

That is because the Republicans on the hill will not stand up to him. And so far, he has been lucky. But his luck ran out on the border policy. And I think there is more where that came from. Governing my instinct without thinking through the consequences is unwise and dangerous. And it appears that Kelly is now just letting him go. I hope that he does not get out country into trouble. But I keep loosing faith in that.

I have said a few times… but once again I am going to put my nickel down on this.

After the Dems take back the House the economy will experience a downturn and the CEC will blame Nancy Pelosi for it.

1 Like