Kansas votes to NOT remove abortion protection from state constitution

It wasn’tt “terrible” at all. The amendment wouldn’t have changed anything, itself.

The Kansas Supreme Court ruled back in 2019 that the right to an abortion was protected by the State Constitution, as well as the U.S. Constitution, at the time.

This amendment would have done nothing but explictly reject that abortion was a right - which would have, of course, opened the doors for whatever abortion laws the Kansas Legislature wanted to pass.

By voting No on this amendment, the voters of Kansas didn’t vote against a particular set of abortion restrictions - they instead voted to affirm a right to an abortion.

2 Likes

Absolutely - they undoubtedly would have, they were already promising it.

What I’m saying is Kansas didn’t vote for some middle of the road, moderate option. They voted to roll back the clock and close any doors opened by Dobbs entirely.

I’m thinking the effect negatively on this up coming election, in a way negative to Republicans, could be greater than ever stopping someone from getting an abortion.

Actually, no, not in those words.

Dobbs basically sent abortion back to the States and into the democratic process. Proceeding under Dobbs, the voters of Kansas made their decision.

In a way, abortion rights in Kansas now has a greater democratic legitimacy having been upheld by the voters, rather than by what I considered to be very flawed Supreme Court jurisprudence.

EDIT TO ADD: I noticed you changed your wording on your post after I quoted it, so I will strike my first sentence.

1 Like

There are those who believe any abortion for any reason is murder and they will not give in to any exception. They are a minority but they are going to keep some others frightened, until they finally realize absolute abortion bans are going to be rare indeed.
Again…some people just incorrectly seem to believe the court banned abortion. No one in this forum…but some.

2 Likes

See! The Supreme Court was correct in returning the regulation of abortion, if any, to the states and people therein!

2 Likes

I understand that the nuance was likely lost on a lot of Kansas voters - but essentially, the way it played out, Kansas actually voted to protect the right to an abortion from the “democratic process.”

This amendment didn’t proceed from Dobbs - it’s distinct from, but parallel to Dobbs.

Nah.

Sadly you have red states making extraordinarily onerous restrictions on women and children that should never exist. A state should never be able to outlaw abortion for a ten year old rape victim. And not just because it’s horrific. Because it’s unconstitutional.

:roll_eyes:

The generalize comments made by you appear to be intentionally designed to cloud the issues and are thus more than suspicious.

1 Like

And if you believe that was their actual plan, you haven’t been paying attention in the past few months. I doubt they thought there would even be a popular vote on it.

how much more wrong can you be? they used the democratic process to protect it from the legislative process.

otherwise, i don’t live in kansas

1 Like

a huge win for pro choicers.

people of the united states dont want a total ban on abortions.

its a womans right.

the kansas supremes said so.

the kansas radical pro life legislators tried this obvious scheme to skirt the
Kansas supreme court and the its citizens said emphatically no with a capital N

Allan

I am not surprised.

I am not in favor of total bans.

This issue will sink Mastriano for Gov in PA.

1 Like

that and other issues.

Allan

This can’t be we were told on this very forum all abortion will be banned in red states just look at Kansas

5 Likes

if it was up the radicals in the legislature, it would have. see neighbor oklahoma for a perfect example.

Allan

2 Likes

But it wasn’t just like we said, so why get your panties in a wad?

You forget about Ohio already? Or Texas?

The popular vote was a bug, not a feature.

What about them. Have they completely banned abortion? No

What I am telling you is, our Constitution’s big-tent system, FEDERALISIM, works. It was designed to reserve to the States and people therein authority to determine their own destiny by making their own decisions over those matters which, “…in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State.”

It seems that our fanatical abortion crowd, whether pro or con, refuses to understand that our federal government has constitutionally assigned priorities which are far more important to the general welfare of the United States then abortion, or for that matter, if Mary and Sue can get married, both of which are among the powers retained by the States and people therein under the Tenth Amendment.

Look how our country is being destroyed from within ___ we are being invaded by millions of poverty stricken, poorly educated, low skilled, diseased, disabled, and criminal populations of other countries; deadly drugs are flooding across our border and killing our children and young adults; our currency is being inflated to a degree that its purchasing power has drastically diminished in the past year; prices are increasing to unbearable levels for America’s families; and, the shutting down, by needless regulations, our country’s ability to produce cheap fuel and be energy independent are just a few of the threats to our nation’s general welfare.

But hey, let all that take a back seat and let us threaten members of Congress and Supreme Court Justices if they dare to get the abortion monkey off their backs and start dealing with those specific matters entrusted to our federal government by our Constitution.

This fanatical abortion crowd, whether pro or con, needs to fess up and come to grips with how their personal feelings about abortion, and their refusal to follow our constitution and federalism, is helping to destroy our country from within.

JWK

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. And that is why control freaks detest federalism . . . it is an obstacle to controlling and subjugating the people completely.