Kansas votes to NOT remove abortion protection from state constitution

Pretty significant vote in a red state and indicative of general pro-choice mood of majority of the nation. Roe decision could have tailwinds.

3 Likes

I’m, uh, a little surprised by this.

Did they only let people under 40 vote in this or what.

The wording of the bill was like a lot of the extreme stuff getting floated post-roe-overturn.

I’ve been consistent that this country isn’t ready to vote in an absolute ban. It’s just not. Even in blood-red Kansas.

A bill with adequate exception wording would have passed 67-33 rather than the extreme bill failing by that margin.

Hopefully abortion-abolitionist politicians take notice.

3 Likes

I’m not surprised at all. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I guess I just thought it would be closer. The language of the amendment must have been pretty terrible.

And yes, more cannabis, more of the time, for more of the people. We would all benefit immensely.

1 Like

This isn’t correct.

Kansas didn’t vote on a “bill” that banned abortion - abortion is protected by the Kansas State Constitution, they can’t pass any laws banning it.

Kansas voted against removing that Constitutional protection.

1 Like

This gives a lot of credibility to the voters, as if they’re not as dumb as many take them for. :thinking:

2 Likes

Wait,

Was this tabulated by DOMINION machines!?!?

2 Likes

Without a demographic readout there are just the numbers. But from what I have seen, even in very red counties the NO vote was significantly higher then the number Biden got. Which might indicate that there were quite a few pro-choice Republicans who voted NO. And I just heard that the projected turnout of 36% might end up closer to 50%. That in itself is pretty amazing for a primary election.

When you get down to it most people by far want to allow for legal abortion on some level. But red State legislatures passed the most onerous Ker-azy trigger bills to outlaw abortion, never quite realizing that the SCOTUS would actually overturn Roe. Now they are left with laws that most people hate.

1 Like

If I was a State Legislator who voted for a trigger law and was on the ballot this November I would be more nervous tonight.

3 Likes

Those that push and passed trigger laws are pretty much on the hook

1 Like

Those State AG’s that are thinking about going after Doctors might think twice. I can imagine that the first law suit that will end up before the SCOTUS will be by a Doctor who put the life of the mother above the law.

1 Like

Meh. I don’t think abortion position has anything to do with intelligence. Alito is, well, extremely smart.

I just flat out thought voting Kansans (did not think I’d get to use that word today) were more gung-ho about less abortion than they apparently are.

This comes down to a basic truth.

“We The People” don’t support either extreme.

A ballot measure that carved out a significant first trimester legal period might have passed. But even in red States, the public as a whole is not going to go along with an absolute ban on abortion.

That truth was just proven tonight.

2 Likes

This wasn’t a ballot measure for an “absolute ban” on abortion.

It’s more accurate to say that Kansas just voted to affirm Roe and Casey, within Kansas’ borders.

I’d like to say you’re right but in red states most conservatives think that liberals are akin to the devil and will vote for legislators who will vote in lock step for onerous anti abortion laws to avoid looking “squishy” and too liberal. I don’t really see a path back to normalcy in many red states around abortion issues at this point.

This is my sense as well, and why I’m a little surprised. Again the amendment must have been terrible.

It would effectively have enabled the legislature to pass such laws.

This was a popular vote…much easier to support abortion rights than in a legislature where if you are seen as remotely “pro-abortion” you will be ousted.