Justice Department threatens executive privilege over entire Mueller report

Or opposed to this unprecedented expansion of Executive Privilege at the expense of Congress.

By your logic, Barr should ask to have any contempt citation thrown out in court. There is no precedent for this becoming a matter of Executive Privilege. And like the Wall emergency it will set a precedent that R’s will rue when there next is a D president.

Assistant attorney general Boyd sent a letter to Nadler yesterday explaining this in great detail. Chairman Nadler moved ahead today anyway.

As I am sure you realize by now, Holder already set such a precedent. It took the courts three years to resolve.

Fine. House Dems have decided they had rather have court battles than hearings.

Two words, Eric Holder.

No he shouldn’t have been.

Incompetence, unfortunately, is not a high crime or misdemeanor.

Yeah I’m sure Pelosi is gonna get right on that one

This is hilarious…

Can’t happen. Contempt of Congress is not justiciable. It’s a separation of powers issue.

There is, actually. This is far from the first time Congress and the Executive have fought this battle.

No he didn’t. Holder took what little bit of heat there was and there were no repercussions. He found out in the papers, like everybody else.

But he waived it …

Whether or not the claim of privledge is valid is a question for the courts - as is whether he can waive priviledge, then re-assert it.

I would guess that the court will reject the claims of priviledge, but that will take years.

2 Likes

You can’t unwave executive priveledge

Well, no one has tried before.

So we don’t really know what will happen.

It certainly will make arguing it in court interesting.

2 Likes

The Constitution is a contrivance of convenience for many Trump supporters.

It’s just like trying to take your ball and go home during a pick up game. After you let them use it for 3 quarters of the game

Well, that’s the thing about Contempt of Congress. They can vote to hold someone in contempt - and they can refer that person to the U.S. Attorney for punishment.

But the U.S. Attorney is part of the Executive, and has prosecutorial discretion - and can choose not to pursue any punishment.

This is what happened with Holder, and what will happen with Barr.

1 Like

It’s all he has…delay with court battles…

'Tis truly a mystery.