Judge orders new proceedings or release for Texas death row inmate

United States District Judge Keith Ellison vacated the murder convictions of Ronald Jeffrey Prible and ordered Texas to either retry him within 180 days or release him.

Prosecutors were accused of illicitly suppressing evidence, including evidence that a jail house snitch had been coached by the prosecution and offered leniency in return for his testimony against Prible.

The snitch’s testimony was the centerpiece of the prosecution’s case and had the defense been able to impeach his testimony, Prible might have been acquitted.

Prosecutorial misconduct is reason enough by itself to vacate a capital conviction. The fact that the misconduct likely changed the outcome makes this ruling 100% correct.

The crime occurred in 1999 and his conviction occurred in 2002. So a retrial will be tough to arrange.

Prible might be walking free in a few months.

Juries are incapable of convicting someone to death if they didn’t do it. So the death penalty is infallible. Every execution is the will of God.

Yeah that was a little too sarcastic even for me.

If…there was prosecutorial misconduct and that was the “centerpiece” of their case and without that, he is not convicted again…then the prosecutor should be sent to jail and spend twice the amount of time in jail Prible did. There must be a zero tolerance for such actions and if it happens, they’re made a nationwide example for all other prosecutors to see what happens if they do so?

1 Like

One of the rare times we are in agreement

1 Like

Still trust government to do what’s best? I suppose this is where I’ve often disagreed with Conservatives. While I agree with the death penalty in principle, I just have zero faith in the government to properly convict people. Essentially, I don’t want our government in charge of killing citizens. I’d be happy with life without parole so if we DO jail someone unjustly (and we DO), we can let them out, compensate them and correct our mistake, though admittedly there’s no correction for keeping an innocent person in prison for decades. I think we should start doing a review of the prosecutors in cases where we prove innocence and start giving them jail time if it turns out they were aware of innocence.

I have never trusted the government to do jack ****. Particularly a government that decides that 5 men standing under an exploding atomic bomb would make good pro-nuclear propaganda.

Don’t trust a ******* one of them, Republican or Democrat, farther than I can throw them. Every last one of them, down to the last man, is in it purely for their own personal agenda, public be ******

At least the Judiciary provides a check on the worst impulses of the political branches.

1 Like

I dunno, if they can’t execute underage mentally retarded people convicted on super thin evidence is it even Texas?