Judge: Election mail must be processed on time

Good thing that is just a hypothetical.

Ahhh, I see. Mail in ballots are only legitimate in ā€œred statesā€. Got cha. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No, just the states that figured out how to do it leagaly.

Just because and absentee ballot is mailed doesnā€™t make it equivalent to a mail in ballot.

Let me say I have little confidence in the USPS at this moment.

Two weeks for a prescription to be mailed to meā€¦in the past it has taken about three days.

A letter I sent to someone who lives a mile away from me took three weeks to arrive.

Post office has been ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  upā€¦I suspect deliberately.

4 Likes

In most states where mail in balloting has been allowed, there is no difference.

I donā€™t think it is. The post office has never been a broken as it is right now.

Odd. I havenā€™t noticed a problem with my mail. Iā€™m sure CNN has, though.

You must not use it that much.

Absentee ballot: Requested by the voter and identity confirmed.
This is how it works in my state (Florida)

Mail in: None of the above

Both are mailed via USPS.

Anecdotes are not particularly helpful in describing this situation with the Post Office.

Different areas of the country may be effected differently and some not at all.

Some people use the Post Office a great deal, while some people never mail a letter.

Actual data, such as the Judge has demanded, will answer the performance questions.

this is way overboard judicial activism

the judicial branch does not have supervisory authority over any other branch.

make your order and let the post office figure out how to implement it.

Colorado, Utah, Washington? Are their elections fraudulent?

:smile:

Tell that to a number of school boards and police departments the Federal Judiciary has been managing, in some cases a half century.

This has been stated again and again and again and again that they do have the authority.

And our country was built on branches of government having authority over the other branches of government and vice-versa.

and that is exactly what is wrong with our system. they have no authority to do any such thing.

Did I say they were?

that is the most ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  description of coequal iā€™ve ever seen. no, they do not have supervisory authority. they are not a superior branch.

Florida makes no distinction between a mail in ballot or an absentee ballot. They havenā€™t since 2016ā€¦in fact all requests for mail in ballots are now called Vote-By-Mail- no distinction between absentee or just mail-in is made.

Florida lawmakers in 2016 changed the terminology from ā€œabsenteeā€ to ā€œvote-by-mailā€ because all registered voters in the state are allowed to cast a ballot without showing up at their assigned polling location.

The process is precisely the sameā€¦register your request on their website, providing them the necessary information to confirm itā€™s you.

This process is the same for most states where mail-in ballots are going out- only a couple states are doing the thing where they mail out ballots to registered voters- even there they are limiting those to active registered voters (have participated in the last two elections).

So explain to me how you live in Florida yet you donā€™t know this.

The Congress gave that authority in 1965 with the Voting Rights Act and the mandate to use that authority.

The VRA is not a hammer and chisel.

The VRA is a sledgehammer and was designed to be a sledgehammer.

The Southern States were not going to play nice on voting rights and only the most draconian judicial measures could bring them to heel.

The VRA remains on the books today and the judiciary retains that sledgehammer.

The Judiciary is simply not going to play games were voting rights are concerned. They are going to use the full authority granted to them by the VRA to quash violations or potential violations. Even just the mere appearance of a voting rights violation is enough to trigger the full force of the VRA.

In most cases outside of voting rights and civil rights, the Judiciary does not have CLOSE to that level of power. Congress gave them that power over voting rights and civil rights for obvious reasons.

1 Like