John Wayne - Fraud

John Wayne dodged the draft during WWII. He had a variety of deferments and he finally settled on a 2A for being a Hollywood actor.

Here is my favorite quote about John Wayne from Robert Mitchum:

“John Wayne had four-inch lifts in his shoes. He had the overheads on his boat accommodated to fit him. He had a special roof put in his station wagon. The son of a bitch, they probably buried him in his ■■■■■■■ lifts. Sure I was glad to see John Wayne win the Oscar … I’m always glad to see the fat lady win the Cadillac on TV, too."

1 Like

The image of John Wayne is more important than whatever is true or not about John Wayne.

You can say the same thing about anybody.
What is most important about Ted Bundy- his handsome and charismatic image, or being a serial killer?

Was going to post about him and the draft dodge many times…just never bothered. Glad you did. .

And seems that the Right sure do idolize their “draft avoiders” don’t they?..Funny how that works…

The thinking that Wayne felt increasingly guilty about his service avoidance eventually led to his hyper-partisanship/nationalism in later years makes a lot of sense to me.

Like Bill Clinton?

Wayne and non-serving conservatives at least have the decency to feel guilty about it. Clinton celebrates not having given America her due.

Taking this at face value, sounds like Rush Limbaugh, too.

Having said that, “service avoidance”?

From Wkipedia

America’s entry into World War II resulted in a deluge of support for the war effort from all sectors of society, and Hollywood was no exception. Wayne was exempted from service due to his age (34 at the time of Pearl Harbor) and family status (classified as 3-A – family deferment). Wayne repeatedly wrote to John Ford saying he wanted to enlist, on one occasion inquiring whether he could get into Ford’s military unit, but consistently kept postponing it until after “he finished just one or two pictures”.[3]:212 Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him since he was their only A-list actor under contract. Herbert J. Yates, President of Republic, threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract,[3]:220 and Republic Pictures intervened in the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne’s further deferment.[3]:213

U.S. National Archives records indicate that Wayne, in fact, did make an application[33] to serve in the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), precursor to the modern CIA, and had been accepted within the U.S. Army’s allotted billet to the OSS. William J. Donovan, OSS Commander, wrote Wayne a letter informing him of his acceptance into the Field Photographic Unit, but the letter went to his estranged wife Josephine’s home. She never told him about it. Donovan also issued an OSS Certificate of Service to Wayne

1 Like

Plenty of Great American conservatives never served.

1 Like

I’m as far to the right as anyone can be. I don’t respect draft dodgers regardless of their politics.
That includes John Wayne, Dick Cheney, Rush, Bill Clinton and anyone else you can think of.

2 Likes

John Wayne was married and 34 years old when the US entered the war, and he was involved in movies used as propaganda is support of the war effort.

He was hardly prime cannon fodder for the draft.

Then why the effort to avoid it?

I’m kind of surprised John Wayne wouldn’t be more admired around here like our own draft dodging president, Bone Spur Trump himself.

1 Like

I’ll include Trump in my disrespect for draft dodgers.

I don’t believe he really had a Bone Spur. Where are the X-rays? Why are they hidden? Why won’t he show us?

Faker! Fake Bone Spur!

1 Like

Didn’t stop him from being one of the best baseball players in NYC!

Let’s face it, he’s Superman.

1 Like

Not entirely true.
In 1944 Wayne was reclassified as 1-A. His movie studio fought tooth and nail to prevent him from getting drafted and succeeded.

Instead of just acting like a war hero, Wayne had a chance to maybe really be one. He ran from it.

Wayne could have faced lawsuit if he enlisted in violation of his studio contract, and the studio worked to ensure he was not drafted:

Wayne repeatedly wrote to John Ford saying he wanted to enlist, on one occasion inquiring whether he could get into Ford’s military unit, but consistently kept postponing it until after “he finished just one or two pictures”. Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A , but Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him since he was their only A-list actor under contract. Herbert J. Yates, President of Republic, threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract . . . John Wayne - Wikipedia

I demand to see the long form x-ray! What’s he hiding? Americans deserve the truth!!!

2 Likes