John Wayne Airport to be renamed?

I’d say what’s next is blasting Washington off of Mount Rushmore - he owned slaves you know.

This is where pc gets ridiculous. Sorry my liberal friend.

Older generations were, in there time, more racist than is acceptable now. The movies, advertising, basically everything about society in previous generations were ALSO unacceptable to modern standards. I guess we are going to have to go through this process with everyone… but I don’t necessarily see them much differently, to me it is totally unsurprising. I think the retrospective on older generations can be taken too far.

As for the name and statue, my position is certainly NOT to “wipe history” of anyone who might not be perfect by modern standards; IMO any action like that is only if that person or monument is used as a symbol by people NOW (i.e the Confederate flag).

Ridiculous. I hope the airport isnt renamed.

Thank you for eloquently crystallizing my thinking. Almost no one’s first thought of John Wayne is “racist old man”. It’s impossible to view a confederate flag and not immediately associate it with the fight to own slaves.

I am almost sure it’ll come to that. We will have a discussion about altering Mt. Rushmore in our lifetime.

We all know this isn’t going to end until Jefferson and Washington have been disgraced and removed.

1 Like

I hope it’s only a discussion.

Huh. Who would have guessed MDC got it right decades ago?