John Bolton willing to defy White House and still testify if court clears way -- Washington Post

The Washington Post is reporting that John Bolton now will testify in the House impeachment inquiry about his alarm at the Ukraine pressure campaign if a federal court ok’s it. Bolton won’t testify without the court ruling, the story says. He was supposed to appear today but did not appear.

“We regret Mr. Bolton’s decision not to appear voluntarily, but we have no interest in allowing the administration to play rope-a-dope with us in the courts for months,” said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation. “Rather, the White House instruction that he not appear will add to the evidence of the president’s obstruction of Congress.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bolton-willing-to-defy-white-house-and-testify-if-court-clears-the-way-according-to-people-familiar-with-his-views/2019/11/07/dd72d73c-00aa-11ea-9518-1e76abc088b6_story.html

Excellent. I’m sure he’s got a lot to report.

Gotta give the guy a lot of credit for having some ethics. Something there’s little of in this administration.

You expected him to refuse to respond to a subpoena risking a contempt charge?

He’s still not going to voluntarily appear so his position has not changed.

Hopefull in public just like how the cons want

1 Like

But why aren’t he D’s issuing a subpoena?

Sounds like just a subpoena isn’t enough? He wants the subpoena upheld in court?

About 10 officials have done just that so far, including Perry.

That would pretty well be SOP for resisting on principle.

I think that the Democrats consider that him appearing in only a public hearing would be a wild card that they don’t want to play. He has been pretty outspoken in the past that he considers that the POTUS has absolute power to direct foreign policy. And although he might have a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Trump he still might run cover for him in a hearing. I think that the Democrats think that they will have enough evidence with the multiple witnesses that they have.

Terrible point. It certainly contrasts with other aids and officials who have outright refused due to the orders of Dear Leader.

They did issue a subpoena but he wants a court to uphold it. Sounds like kind of a CYA.

1 Like

But i believe the D’s have said they are not interested in these court fights for fear of the court halting the proceedings until it all gets sorted.

Note this quote from the link in the OP. Looks like Bolton is reacting to the White House and wants a clear path.

“We regret Mr. Bolton’s decision not to appear voluntarily, but we have no interest in allowing the administration to play rope-a-dope with us in the courts for months,” said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation. “Rather, the White House instruction that he not appear will add to the evidence of the president’s obstruction of Congress.”

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: any ambassador in a storm.

Look at that quote I posted a few minutes ago. I think they’re also clearing a path. With someone like Bolton, I think that’s a good move.

1 Like

No one cares about his opinion because we have the transcript.

Who cares?

More people than care about the Orioles. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow… Really picked out the fake news headlines…

Here’s the real story!

" WASHINGTON – [Former National Security Adviser John Bolton refused to appear before the House impeachment panel on Thursday and his lawyer told Democrats he would fight a congressional subpoena.

“His counsel has informed us … Mr. Bolton would take us to court if we subpoenaed him,” a House Intelligence Committee official told USA TODAY."

1 Like

Resist!

2 Likes