It's not your imagination. Northwestern University study confirms American IQs really are dropping

So this isn’t the future of humans?

1 Like

Some things never change

2 Likes

I don’t know how I ended up in this old thread, but I’m bumping it now. lol

1 Like

Well, there’s a higher percentage of people in college now than ever, so I guess it does make sense that Americans are getting dumber. But what’s important is that every college graduate can have a useless discussion on all things LGBTQ+!

2 Likes

Hell, even I have a 4 year degree (majored in math) and I dropped out of 9th grade. The whole path to that initial AGS was nothing more than what high school kids already did. I only had to do it once. :rofl:

I’m glad you did.

1 Like

YES. As you know- the WAIS is individually administered by an expert. Conversely, on this article, “Study authors used the Synthetic Aperture Personality Assessment (SAPA) Project, a free survey-based online personality test that gives test-takers feedback focusing on 27 temperament traits (adaptability, impulsivity, anxiety, humor), in addition to their ability scores.”

How are they using this crappy data to compare to actual IQ tests, which are individually administered by an expert examiner?

I can’t speak to numbers and stats on IQs dropping since I don’t follow it, but I will say the amount of flat earth nonsense I see on the web is quite concerning.

1 Like

IQ tests… too many people can’t make change without a computer or cash register giving them the answer- and then they have to count with coins…

1 Like

on line tests are like on line polls.

totally and unequivocally inaccurate.

Allan

1 Like

One more reason we should defund universities.

A bunch of PhDs from Northwestern published this dumb study that is so dumb @biggestal99 can simply dismiss it.

(Why are we finding the people who keep producing dumb worthless studies?

If they think that’s a decent study they aren’t honest enough to receive future funding.)

IQ is very important. A standard deviation can make or break a civilization.

not just me, several others also have grave doubts.

PHD (piled high and deep) are mostly worthless.

my friend Steve (a pHD himself) gave me that definition.

Allan

1 Like

Yeah, but were those numbers in base 10?

Point is: When one online test given to one person reports one result (IQ=99 or whatever) that result is worthless.

But this test was administered to 394,378 people and smaller subset (303,540)
This was done over a period of 13 years and 7 years respectively.

With such a large sample, one would expect the results to remain the same (or improve slightly) over time.

Instead the results showed consistently lower scores in three areas as time progressed, and consistently higher scores in a fourth.

The unthinking and dismissive notion that “anything done online is automatically null and void,” does not seem like a very likely explanation.

There are 10 types of people in this world:

Those who know Binary, and those who don’t.

3 Likes

always leery of anything that is done online.

too many ways to game the system, no matter how large a number were tested.

Allan

1 Like