It's been 150+ years since Democrats have been this upset about July 4

Canadian lumber is so nice it cuts and stacks itself.

While lumberjacks are singing the “Lumberjack Song”, supervising.

(Monty Python reference if you’re not familiar.)

Great little Canadian folk song about lumber industry.

I’m a lumberjack and I’m okay! Yeah, I’m familiar with it lol.

1 Like

Climate played a large roll in the slow expansion of Canada, winters were cold, summer were hot, lakes and rivers were the only main way of movement. Only the insane or crazy came to Canada during the early era.

the British saw the expansion of the U.S and devoted a lot of time and money to expanded Canada west.

Log drivers make the best dancers. Easy to see how that job would make you light on your feet.

I wonder if that song was someone reflecting on their surroundings and experience, or was it a driver trying to drum up interest for the Saturday night dances?

In movies if you see lumber drivers it’s because somebody’s going into the water and wrestle the logs. If they save him, he goes to the dance. If they don’t, they talk about him at the dance.

That would be all of my ancestors. My grandmother was born there so far out in the wilderness it took two weeks for someone to get to town to register the birth. They had to ice skate across a lake in winter for groceries and some other cool stories. I have probably two hundred relatives still there, a lot of them in Saskatchewan.

likely some Métis blood in you, making you a half-blood or tainted blood.

my family came to Canada from France, ditched New France after a few years and settled in the middle of nowhere and made their money working in trading with the local Natives and transporting furr and fish. other want even more into the wildness working for the trading companies exploring deep into the heart land (Manitoba, Saskatchewan) some came back other stayed and started trading post and married into the local Native communities.

The dems have been upset about pretty much everything since election night 2016.

Riots, screaming at the sky, you name it.

2 Likes

I’ve heard stories of a direct ancestor marrying a native girl, but nobody knows if it’s really true. There are a lot of craftsman and merchants in my family tree, wagon makers, cabinet makers, hardware store owners. It’s funny, I became a cabinet maker before ever learning about that stuff.

Marrying into Native communities was quite common at the time because none of the good looking European woman wanted to live that far out in the bush :laughing:

one of my ancestor married a Cree woman because he said he would never find a European woman who would gut a fish.

The song is written about a upper/middle class woman day dreaming about marrying a strong outdoorsy man which was common at the time they would stop in towns very few months. which was quite common as a lot of jobs at the time involved traveling so at your local church dance you might see a bunch of handsome men you never seen before or only seen once or twice.

My grandmother and mother had no problem gutting fish lol.

Good people, salt of the earth.

1 Like

[/quote]

Slavery was banned in Upper Canada in 1793 under the first Lieutenant General John Graves Simcoe
so they had a good three years.

[/quote]

No, here is what actually happened:

The Act Against Slavery was an anti-slavery law passed on July 9, 1793, in the second legislative session of Upper Canada, the colonial division of British North America that would eventually become Ontario. It banned the importation of slaves and mandated that children born henceforth to female slaves would be freed upon reaching the age of 25. Act Against Slavery - Wikipedia

The act of 1793 freed no slaves for 25 years, and slavery was not illegal throughout Canada until 1834. A similar 1780 Pennsylvania law that said children of slaves would be freed when the became adults, but there were still ageing slaves in 1840 Pennsylvania census.

Many years ago I toured a house in Pennsylvania that pre-dated the American Revolution, and the guide pointed out the “servants quarters”. I asked if she meant slave quarters, and she seemed a bit flustered but admitted the servants had been slaves.

My observation is there has been a lot of reluctance to admit that slavery ever existed outside of Dixie, but slavery was legal throughout North America until the American Revolution. The northern states became the first places to formally outlaw slavery during and after the revolution, which is another reason to celebrate Independence Day.

So the setup for this OP is a post in the NYT Opinion section and a article from Breitbart. At least the OP said many Democrats and not All. But still, this is the kind of crap that we really don’t need. I will bet you dollars to dog nuts that there were a bunch of Republicans who took offense to their tax dollars being used for Trump’s show. That does not make them any more less patriotic. The CEC continues to broad-brush Democrats as non-patriotic and evil. But in reality Liberals and Conservatives agree on more things then they disagree on.

Okay, here are some quotes from Democrats that predate the current questions about the parade in Washington:

America was never that great. --Andrew Cuomo

America was never great.– Eric Holder

And you point is?
Cuomo has a point that we will achieve true greatness when discrimination and stereotyping of women is gone. Do you agree with that?
And Holder addressed Trump’s slogan directly. His statement was when Trump says “Make America great again” what period is he referring to? I think he has a point. At what point in our past were we greater then now? And why?
And I would add that we will achieve a greater point when we greatly reduce bigotry and racial hate in our country.

Hard to be upset when we are laughing at all the Revolutionary War airport memes.

I wouldn’t expect a nationalist Trumpist to understand what actual patriotism means.

1 Like

It seems you lost track of your argument.