🤣👍🏼 It's About Time!

That’s not at all what the CEO is saying???

Where did you find that quote? I scanned the article multiple times looking for that quote and was unable to find it???

Typically, not listening to consumers is a bad thing.

He didn’t say he wasn’t listening to consumers. What he is saying is, he isn’t listening to people who wouldn’t be caught dead in a McDonalds, as in listening to his customers, not the press or the government.

4 Likes

Oh and to top it off, these Beyond and Impossible burgers aren’t any healthier.

from https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/a21566428/beyond-meat-burger-ingredients/

Per four-ounce uncooked Beyond Burger patty, you’ll get:

• Calories: 270
  • Fat: 20 g (6 g saturated fat)
  • Sodium: 380 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 5 g
  • Fiber: 3 g
  • Sugars: 0 g
  • Protein: 20 g

Compare that to four ounces of raw beef (80 percent lean):

• Calories: 287
  • Fat: 23 g (9 g saturated fat)
  • Sodium: 75 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 0 g
  • Fiber: 0 g
  • Sugars: 0 g
  • Protein: 19 g
2 Likes

Not listening to consumers is a bad thing if a company wants to survive. But that isn’t at all what the CEO was saying.

Literally right under the title of the story:

“McDonald’s CEO Chris Kempczinski admits the chain isn’t in the business of making healthy food, despite pressure from consumers.”

It was a paraphrase-I’m sorry I can’t put my fingers up like quotations marks and wink while typing on a forum. We can avoid arguing unnecessary nonsense because I am not claiming it was a quote.

Read the first two paragraphs of the article:

**But even with the increased pressure from consumers on food companies to create their products in a more healthful, transparent way, McDonald’s CEO Chris Kempczinski admits the chain isn’t in the business of making healthy food**.

"It’s not up to me to make those choices," he said in a recent interview when asked about McDonald’s unhealthy reputation, explaining the chain simply strives to provide people with the options they want, as opposed to the ones they (nutritionally) need.

I’m arguing that this article is written poorly, because the CEO of a company ultimately does make the choices, but based on consumer demand, and that he WILL make the choice if demands goes high enough.

But can we agree not to argue the semantics of this here? It will be a needless rabbit hole.

The stance that the article actually DOES make…that “a business runs like a business” is…not a very major revelation.

Yeah, he appears to be saying “we will follow consumer demand”. What’s the big revelation here?

And while I am debunking common myths, no cattle don’t use way more water. The majority of them are watered with rain or ground water, which they ahem, return to the land fairly quickly. The cattle industry uses less than 1% in total ground water withdrawals. And that isn’t even factoring in that they return almost all of it back to the aquifer they borrowed it from.

2 Likes

There is a difference between generic consumer and actual customer. Doesn’t make sense to cave to a bunch of vegetarians and vegans if they would never go to McDonalds anyway.

3 Likes

The bolded is just added political commentary.

Neither the NYT article from which the article is derived. There’s nothing about government or the press or any of that business.

Here’s the exact question he was asked:

When a lot of people think about McDonald’s, the image is unhealthy fast food. To put it plainly, why doesn’t McDonald’s serve more healthy food?

He replies by saying “friends” of his will say he can just make the menu healthier tomorrow, but that people will just go other places.

Here’s the final paragraph on the topic from the NYT article (you have to login to read, I just created a burner account to sign up):

I have many friends who will say, “Well, you’re just not moving fast enough. Just change out the menu tomorrow and leave people with these choices. That’s how you’re going to get there.” Well, the reality is that’s not going to force people to make the right choices. That’s just going to drive them to go in a different direction. They’re just not going to come to your restaurant. They’re going to go somewhere else. These things have to be done also at the pace that a customer is willing to be nudged. Just radically making these decisions and saying, *“Well, now these are your options. Take it or leave it,” is not how we as consumers are conditioned. We live now in a world of infinite choices.

If he thinks plant-based food will make him more money long-term, he’ll try to push consumers into it eventually, but recognizes that it can’t be done quickly. That seems to be the point here, not a bunch of stuff about journalists or vegans or the government.

A while back my refrigerator crapped out, and while waiting for another one I went to their website to maybe see if their salad with chicken looked edible. Haha, they quietly discontinued their salads without telling anybody.

2 Likes

Yeah but their food tastes ten times better!

Except for the excessive sodium, those numbers suggest that they are in fact marginally healthier. Probably not enough to matter though.

If I’m getting a fast food hamburger its In N Out

:rofl: $20B a year.

Probably because nobody was buying them.

Five Guys closed 27 restaurants in Texas. And it isn’t only Texas.

Beef is not unhealthy.

1 Like

Hamburger and shakes yes fries no.