It would be great if it happened, but I'm not counting on it

Last summer, the US Supreme court ruled that public employee’s basically can’t be forced to pay any union dues. Now employee’s are finding out that they have to wait until a certain time before they can leave the union. As soon as the ruling came out, they should have had the option of bailing then, but untion rules won’t let them.

So now seem’s they are suing to get dues back not only from the ruling last summer (at least the california school district realized that was a lost cause and refunded the money), but trying to get their dues back from when they started employment.

At first, they didn’t respond to his requests. Then, when he pursued litigation, the union agreed to tell the school district to stop collecting dues from him and reimbursed him for all the dues paid post-Janus.

But Few is now seeking reimbursement for dues paid since he became a teacher.

And this teacher isn’t the only one:

Six teachers in Northern California’s Freemont Unified School District filed suit in March against the CTA and Becerra amid claims that they were never informed that they were no longer required to have $1,500 in annual union dues deducted from their pay.

These one’s saying there were never told of the court ruling to be given an option to end.

And a class action lawsuit:

And last week, a class-action lawsuit filed on the behalf of nine government worker plaintiffs and a class of more than 2,700 workers seeks to force unions to refund hundreds of millions of dollars in agency fees paid by thousands of workers nationwide prior to the Janus ruling.

“We’re putting the band back together,” Liberty Justice Center President Patrick Hughes told Fox News. “The argument is once something is deemed to be unconstitutional [in the civil context] – agency fees – then they’re deemed to be retroactively unconstitutional. … We’re taking the position that those fees should be refunded to those nonmembers.”

Maybe @Safiel can chime in here . . . . I think every one will get their dues back post Janus ruling. But I don’t think they will get refunds from hire date (they should if they can prove they woudn’t have joined the union if not required to).

Now this ruling just needs to be applied to general Union memberships :smiley:

Can’t beleive no one has commented on a possible hit of millions to unions around the country.

Why is this a positive thing?

What?

That unions could have to pay former members millions of dollars?
That certain people don’t have to pay union dues and would like their money back?
That certain people won’t have to pay union thugs just to work?

You know these people took all the perks and benefits of union membership but dont want to pony up? You know there are alot of advantages to union membership. Why mention do you mention the word thugs when you say unions ?

They may or may not have.

Example: They are public employee’s. They don’t get individual raises, and what raises they do get are voted on by a body based on taxes.

I firmly belive that NO one should have to pay to work at a business or in an industry.

They can always teach at a private school where they dont have to belong to a union. I may not belong to a public union but am a 20 year member of a union. Me and my family have great health insurance. I make a good living and can provide for my family and myself. When I retire I can retire and have a good life at 62 with a good pension and over a half million in my annuity as well. I pay my membership dues always on time because it a good investment.

From my family history. My grandfather was in a Union way back when. Have newspaper clippings, and oral history of the “union” going on strike. The Union was bringing people in to work across the picket line. My grandfather stole a ladder from a store, climbed up on a building (and like me he wasn’t a small guy) and did a belly flop onto workers in the back of a flatbed truck that were crossing the picket line. Same thing essentially happens to day. Anyone crossing a picket line is spit on, yelled at, sworn at and all kinds of things.

That health insurance may go away if the dems have their way.

I’ve been on a picket line. I’ve never seen violence. It is a criminal offense to spit or punch anyone. Back in the day probably your grandfather’s I’m sure it was different. Most of us are college educated just trying to make a living. Not always an easy living work is not guarenteed. Sure if somebody crosses a picket line people get pissed but we’d rather them join us then beat em.

I was hoping it would. If single payer comes to fruition we have an extra 12 bucks in our contract we can use. Perhaps early retirement or a raise. I’m sure if it did come to that there would be some sort of supplementary insurance. I’m fortunate I can afford to go to the doctor. I know people who have insurance sho have to pay for the first 5000$ just to get any benefits. Shameful

Yep… parasites.

1 Like

To answer a question from much earlier, no workers will NOT get back dues paid from before Janus.

As for the free rider “issue”. End the practice of unions being the sole and exclusive bargaining unit for a workforce and instead make the the sole and exclusive bargaining unit for members in the particular workforce. Workers not joining the union would be required to negotiate their employment terms separately and would not be entitled to union grievance protection, but would have to act on their own on any grievance. For seniority purposes, they could pick work assignments as if union, but would not be entitled to protection if their seniority is violated, as is the case in union bargaining units.

1 Like

That can only be the case for eight to work states. The rest have closed shops and you have to be union . The reason these teachers want to teach at the public schools is because of what the unions have negotiates for them. They dont want to work at the privates and make less money and benefits.

Well hold into to your excitement. Your gonna love it.

I have to say that I am lucky to have landed good union jobs most of my life. I can’t imagine being one of those under paid suckers working in an Amazon warehouse or something similar. I am a road maintenance employee, and was a toll collector for the same road prior to that. I can’t imagine there would be many employees that would not want the union. It’s just over 11 bucks a week. We’d have to be outright morons to force them out.

Everyone has a choice. There aren’t that many unions left and no one is forced to work for a union. Don’t want to work for a union? Find a non union job. Shouldn’t be hard, they far outnumber union jobs. Thing is, people gravitate to union jobs because they usually pay more. Then they want to complain that they shouldn’t have to pay the union? Unbelievable.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking.

However from Janus on, they may end up paying a lot of members.

OP, didn’t you say that you are currently a union member?

Me?

Never have been, and hopefully never will be. Said my grandfather was a union man.

What do ya do for a living if you dont mind me asking