It was warmer 1000 and 2000 years ago

So Samm, here’s a funny story if you’re a nerd. We took one of our physics professors out for a bachelor party at a strip club. We paid the stripper to table dance, lean between her legs at tell him: “E=mc2.” True story. We all lost it.

Is this all you can conjure, Saruman?

The container is closed to mass transfer, but not energy transfer. Heat (and thus the amount of the mass that produced it) can escape the system.

Are you sure you want to stick with that Samm? You can call a friend. I like you Samm, I like your posts. But let’s get going here.

By the way, the result of the experiment could easily have been a gain in mass of 0.02 g. But the conclusion, that mass did not change, would still be valid. Was energy gained? Pretty heavy, huh?

Samm,
This is what I love about teaching students. You just bring them along. They challenge me, and I challenge them back. I love it when they give me the finger (figuratively speaking). At least I know they’re engaged.

1 Like

You were quite simply wrong and and we both know it. You can’t shovel enough kitty litter to cover it up.

Humans are not adapting to the environment, we adjust, and change our environment so that we can survive in it.

Human tolerances to environmental changes are very narrow. That’s why we have different clothes for different seasons and different locations, why we have to take air with us when we go under water and into space, and why we have to heat and cool our homes.

It made perfect sense which is why you won’t address it.

All you’ve done is provide the same article again hidden behind a paywall.

Once again you provide the same drivel from the same sources; estimates and guesstimates from proxy data; and you can’t even provide that, only a link to a pay site!

There are no recorded temperatures prior to 1650 and little to none between 1650-1940 for over 90% of the planet’s surface.

Sure I was wrong if you think the only use of the word “adapt” is in the context of biological evolution. Luckily the dictionary shows a plethora of definitions.

Just quit.

adapt

verb

\ ə-ˈdapt , a-\

adapted; adapting; adapts

Definition of adapt

transitive verb

: to make fit (as for a new use) often by modificationadapt the curriculum to students’ needs

intransitive verb

: to become adaptedadapt to a new enviroment

We aren’t adapting to our environment, we use technology to survive it and make ourselves more comfortable by modifying our environment locally and personally.

We adapt our civilization to the environment. Is that incorrect?

Wildrose, here is the original usage of adapt that you objected to. Note my discussing of our city placements. Note my use of farm placement. Clearly I was not referring to biological evolution.

Context can be your clue.

And once again, that’s not adaptation.

We put our cities where we could survive, we put farms where crops can be grown.

We modify the environment with things like fertilizer and irrigation, that isn’t adaptation.

Your opinion is noted. Thank you.

http://anthropology.iresearchnet.com/cultural-adaptation/

That IS adaptation. Adaptation is not limited to physiological changes to our bodies, it includes using our inginuity to allow us to live where our bodies could not survive otherwise.

So chilly in Illinois

Rockford’s temperatures on Thursday reached minus 31 degrees, sinking below its previous record of minus 27 on January 10, 1982.

Mt. Carroll reach 38 degrees below zero on Thursday, and if deemed accurate by a committee, will set a new all-time record for the state of Illinois.

The last time Chicago had 13 days of consecutive snowfall was the winter of 1978 to 1979 where 23.5 inches fell. To break an all-time record, snow would have to fall consecutively for more 1960’s 18 days.

On Wednesday, the record for lowest maximum temperature was broken with minus 10, previously it was 3 degrees in 2004. The day’s record for lowest minimum temperature was also broken at 23 degrees below zero, before it had been minus 15 in 1966.

Thursday’s weather also set a new record for the lowest minimum temperature with minus 21 degrees. Previous records were minus 12 in 1899 and 1985.

Cold weather record: Chicago set new cold weather lows in polar vortex - Curbed Chicago

Yes… but not 0.02 grams.

It’s the dictionary you seem to have an issue with.

No, millions of them died and those that survived fled south during the advance of the glaciers.

Many more died off in the flooding that followed the rapid warm up.

The “Goldilocks Zone” for humans is very narrow.

In order to survive the extremes we have to use technology to modify our local environment (central air/heat) and by making special clothing to protect us from extremes of heat, cold, and sun.